JBJ Auto Topoff Problems

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

ronj

Blue Tang
i got this unit around a year ago... i have always had problems with the float switches sticking... i only use one at a time...i just switch out the wet one for the dry one about every 2 weeks....has anyone else had a problem with the sensors sticking?????

about 1ft away now, but i used to have the sensor in my sump..it wasn't near where i was dripping kalk

Is it hanging up because its getting dirty or ca build up. Or is clean and just failing?

Don

I have a problem with JBJ ATO too. Time to time, my unit pumps too much water to the tank. I use mode B for my set up. Any Suggestions?

I have a problem with JBJ ATO too. Time to time, my unit pumps too much water to the tank. I use mode B for my set up. Any Suggestions?

Does mode B allow the water to fall to the lower switch then fill it back up to the upper switch?

Thanks for your quick response.

My water level is good for for 5-7 days and one day, my water level is so high almost spilling out of the tank.

Its probably hooked up right if it works most of the time. The jbj has a timer failsafe that prevents a flood when the upper float switch fails. If either of you switches are under water or go under water when you shut down the return pump the need to be sealed where the wires go into the switch. Sounds like you need new switches.

Below is a example of how to seal switches.

Its probably hooked up right if it works most of the time. The jbj has a timer failsafe that prevents a flood when the upper float switch fails. If either of you switches are under water or go under water when you shut down the return pump the need to be sealed where the wires go into the switch. Sounds like you need new switches.

Below is a example of how to seal switches.

OK. Since the float switches are in my 20 Long, I can only place them partially under water. Does the uppder switch need to be above the water line? I need to post a photo to let you see my set up.

Where the wires enter the switch needs to be sealed so that sw wont creep in and destroy the switch.

mine gets a CA buildup on the sensor and starts to stick

Ron,

I'd fix the precip so you dont have to deal with the problem. Does it build up quickly? Are you letting your kalk settle until its clear?

Don

wow fancy..

I have a Fs from ATO.com as well.. I havent had any problems over the last few years...

i had a snail jam it once.... but that was eazy to fix.
as far as geting in touch with ATO.com good luck i think its some non computer littert guy in the middle of east jalalabad with a 14.4k dial up connection.. no number no reply from email... so

Wow, I've never read about problems with the JBJ auto top off before. I've been using one for over a year with no trouble. I have one switch in my sump, the other in my top off water using kalkwasser. The switch inside the kalk water has never been cleaned and has never failed. Ditto for the one in my sump.

I have had my ATO for about 6 months and I have been having trouble with the switch sticking off and on now for about the last 2 months or so. I just recently mentioned it to the store I bought it from and I just brought it back to them today and they traded it in for a brand new system. Might just ask the store if they can trade it out for you???

It was the sensor in my sump that would stick also. It had gotten worse over the last couple of weeks, to the point that in order for it to fill ever, I had to go in and manually move the switch.

I havent dosed with kalk in that particular tank, so not sure what caused the problem. Hopefully this new unit will work just fine! I am waiting to reinstall it until I get my new tank switched over, hopefully this week.

These floater type switches aren't that reliable, get one with an optical sensor & you'll have a more reliable ATO.

the 2 stores that I go to only sell the JBL ATO with the switches, and I have not had a chance to research other ATO's yet. Which optical ones do you recommend?
Thanks

Back