Jiddy is Hot, soooo Hot!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Jiddy

Ive slowly noticed over the last few weeks my tank that has stayed around 80' for last few months go from 81' to 82' down to 80' up and down, you get the point:D Well yesterday after the 9hr lighting period it was at 84', i was thinking boy thats high, and its the end of November in this chillie state (no jokes Krish) so i figure its the lights, well i wake up today and the tank is at a cool 83'. I unplugged my sweet titanium Won Bro II heater (ive heard all about them) to see if even thou its not indicating its on, Ive also turned on the rooms ceiling fan. Nothing has changed in my tank since its original design. And the only motors i have are the 2mag12s on CL, the Iwakia 40 sump return and and two little PH (unlikely), ill go check my Mag's now, but unless they are HotHotHot i wouldnt think they tobe a culprit. The only thing that is new is my Hippo Tang, boy he must be pumping out some body heat ay!:confused:

That lovable Guy
Hot Jiddy:evil:

LOL...Sorry to hear that Jiddy. 83 degrees is what I use to call cool. I had a little JBJ powerhead that only pumped 260 gph and it caused crazy heat in my 90. I dropped 2 degrees just removing it. If nothing has changed then it may be a powerhead causing the heat. Good luck cooling it down...

Its the heater or a pump man, Take them out one at a time and run them in a 5 gallon bucket with a thermometer. And take the won brothers heater and mail it to someone you dont like. LOL
EboJager rules man. Won is a timebomb in your reef. Let me put it this way. You live where it is cold, would you relie on a chinese system to keep your house warm?

Get yourself a infared thermometer / temp gun. They are cheap now days and are a must have for checking pumps without having to move or disconnect anything.

Don

I for one would ditch the magnetic drive pumps. They put waaaaay to much heat into the water. Most direct drive pumps (shaft drive) don't put near the heat in.:)

lol ken :D .
ohh boy Jiddy bom bom you are pretty hot lol !! i agree with Steve dood, just take both things the heater and the pump and check them out like he says otherwise you are gonna end up making ro/di ice cubes for your tank in the middle of the winter :D

It also could be the heat in your house, mine fluxuates a little more now that I have to use the heat.

jake

Well i found the problem, it was the Mag pumps, i shut them off last night and my tank cooled down to 78', i turned them on 6hrs ago and my temp is at 79', so hopefully shutting them off at night will solve my problem. Im assuming that since i added my sandbed last week that might of played an effect in why my pumps "all of a sudden" starting making my tank so hot???? What do you do think? (and when i say "you" i mean everybody except Ken)

Jiddy...Do you run your lights on your tank at night? Because if I'm understanding what you did correctly, you turned off the pumps at night (the time when most of us keep our lights off) which means both would be off so how could you be sure. Just a thought if I understood correctly...

More than likely it is the pumps though, just want you to make sure Bud...

Too bad, I'm posting anyway.....

Jiddy I don't think the sandbed would of caused a difference in the tank temp. You have a large tank, and heating or cooling a large volumn of water like that will takes lots of energy. Are you running any fans on the tank? A little evapotration is a great way to cool the tank a little. Even maybe a fan blowing across the pumps might help dissapate the heat some. Also what are you using to check the temp, a second device to verify your temp might be good... If there are any heat registers near the tank I would close them down also.

Jiddy, come on man. The pumps are producing heat, the lights are producing heat, the heater is producing heat. You got to isolate them one at time. LOL I think you might of got into Clays stash. LOL
J/K.
Steve

Santa is just around the corner

Well Jiddy it may be time to ask Santa for a chiller:D
Tell the missis they make a great house heater as well;)

Jiddy said:
Well i found the problem, it was the Mag pumps, i shut them off last night and my tank cooled down to 78', i turned them on 6hrs ago and my temp is at 79', so hopefully shutting them off at night will solve my problem. Im assuming that since i added my sandbed last week that might of played an effect in why my pumps "all of a sudden" starting making my tank so hot???? What do you do think? (and when i say "you" i mean everybody except Ken)

Well Jiddy it may be time to ask Santa for a chiller
Tell the missis they make a great house heater as well

Hey man...That's smart thinking...I need to try that, but tell my wife that it keeps the house cool. She would'nt know any better(LOL)

krish needs one too

I haven't looked but I bet they are alot cheeper this time of the year Krish just plumb it out side then you can tell the missis all the heat is out of the house:)

krish75 said:
Hey man...That's smart thinking...I need to try that, but tell my wife that it keeps the house cool. She would'nt know any better(LOL)

I haven't looked but I bet they are alot cheeper this time of the year Krish just plumb it out side then you can tell the missis all the heat is out of the house

LOL. That could work...I live in the Bahamas you know. I could blame it on the weather anyday!

as an anecdote, I use a mag 9.5 to cycle my RO water out in the uninsulated garage and last night I went out and check just for fun and it had my 35gals of RO water at about 78 degrees. Ambient temp outside was about 39degrees. Mags make lots of heat.

as an anecdote, I use a mag 9.5 to cycle my RO water out in the uninsulated garage and last night I went out and check just for fun and it had my 35gals of RO water at about 78 degrees. Ambient temp outside was about 39degrees. Mags make lots of heat.

I second that edgerat. I borrowed a mag7, 2 nights ago from a friend because I accidently broke the head off of my return pump installing my sea-swirl. When I took the mag7 back out today to put my new pump in, it was really warm to the touch... More than I would be comfortable with. Not as hot as my little JBJ was, but nonetheless warm. I had the same issue with my first mag 7 and replaced it. I love the magdrive pumps because they are good pumps for the buck, but I think they are best left in-line or where heat isn't a factor. I'm waiting on some bulkheads to come in now so I can remove my mag5 that runs my skimmer out of the sump to inline use...

about 39degrees

Yea its getting cold over here on the East side of the Cascades Been dipping around 30 at night with both my chillers in the house we have to open the door to the garage during the day or the temps will get above 85 in the house :eek:
No need to use any heat ;)

edgerat said:

Back