Joe's Wet Dream, A 550 Gallon Work In Progress

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

No, don't mind at all, I bought him online, when I do that I deal with the California dealers, it's been a while, but I'm pretty sure it was from liveaquaria, they sell for around $150.00 + shipping, I've never seen one at any of the LFS's, odds are it wouldn't survive in a store tank, here's a write up on them....
One of the most distinctive, as well as cryptic members of the genus, the Golden Pygmy spends most of its time searching for sponges underneath rocks, and is seldom far from cover. Attempt this fish only in a reef tank where it has plenty of rock to graze on. Quarantine tanks, copper treatment, or anything but complete luxury spell death for this finicky fish. Can do well, but only if it goes directly into an ideal reef tank, never quarantine this fish-- they do not tolerate it. Do not house with any remotely boisterous tankmates. A relatively recent find, the Golden Pygmy appeared in the trade only in the mid 90's, we provided the first specimens that appeared on a magazine cover.

Joe, looks like things are good for this coming end of week; but I'll for sure confirm as we get closer to that. I listed some stuff on my forum that I thought you might like. Feel free to give me a call if you see anything you want, or need??? :)

Talk at ya soon
Eric

Looking good Eric, Randy is coming over tomorrow, the electric has been totally reworked for about the third time, I'll post Randy photos manana....

Joe whats a Harp Gravity System ?. Is it like a above tank refuge for pods to feed the tank or am I way off base :oops:

Harp Gravity System

Joe whats a Harp Gravity System ?. Is it like a above tank refuge for pods to feed the tank or am I way off base :oops:

No...it's a lift system for your lighting hood. Available only through Veralte Aquatics and Clear Fabrications...

I'm sure Joe will post some pics when it's up and running..

The Harp Gravity Lift Takes Shape

Thought I'd post some initial photos of the steps completed on the gravity lift for my hood. Randy has installed the vertical support beams and the counterweight pulley system, and he's done extensive remodeling to accomplish the in wall installation and to provide access to all components.

The first few photos are of one of the two vertical support beams. they are about 10 feet long and are 1/4" 2 x 4 steel, Randy had all steel components coated with Line-X (truck bed liner) as you will see. The pulley on the beam is a stainless steel sailboat rigging pulley, this is the lower part of the beam, on the upper end of each beam there will be a second stainless pulley. The system is designed to transmit all the weight of the system with the hood directly to the cement foundation, No loadbearing will be placed on any studs or other parts of the wall.
DSC_0085-2.jpg

DSC_0086.jpg

DSC_0088-1.jpg

This is a support brace that locks the bottom end of the vertical beam to the foundation to deal with all the torque at the top end where the 6 foot long hood will be aupported. Note the flimsy bolts Randy uses...
DSC_0096-1.jpg

DSC_0097.jpg

Here's a shot of the stainless pulley, the cable will be directed down vertically from the top pulley, then it comes out horizontally from the lower pulley and is directed about 10 feet to a beam that has a set of pulleys that will direct the cables to the counterweight.
DSC_0099.jpg

Here's the beam that will be above the counterweight, you can see the two middle pulleys, these direct the cable from each side to the counterweight, the next photo shows the two industrial strength middle pulleys close up..
DSC_0089.jpg
DSC_0090-1.jpg
A couple of more views that show the horizontal pulleys and their relationship to the center two....
DSC_0091.jpg
DSC_0092.jpg
here are a few shots of the supporting pieces for this setup, Randy is putting braces on the braces, this is important in case I ever need to hoist any baby elephants in my living room...
DSC_0093-1.jpg
DSC_0095.jpg

Are your dogs helping you or are they waiting for you to open the cooler?!?
:lol::badgrin::lol::cool:

Last edited:
The dogs are supervising, they are the brains of the outfit...

Randy is finishing up the fabbing on the gravity lift, looks like it will be up and working within a week. It was a bit of an investment but worth every penny, fortuneatly I'm not in the Salsa business so I could afford to go first class.....:badgrin:

Holy He-Man Batman !!! This is impressive for sure.. Can't wait to see the final pics of this project.

Joe...This whole setup, when you're finished, will cost more than our townhouse here in the Bahamas......Funished!!! :lol: Looking great man! Keep up the good work! :)

Thanks Krish, You're the best, you've always been a great help with your knowledge and experience, if you ever want to come up to the Seattle area with all your bikini clad entourage you will have to stay here, I insist!!!!!

Oh man Krish, I feel awful. I always assumed you were a male of the species, if I was incorrect I hope you will forgive me. Of course, it goes without saying that if you are a pimple encrusted star wars fan who's life goal is to become a level 42 warlock, well we don't need to go on do we......

ROFL!!! Please don't make me start another "I'm not a girl" thread. My last one got closed a few years ago :lol: Yes I am a man/guy (LOL). You had it right which is why I said, NO BIKINI's ON ME!!! :p

K...Going to bump the "Who are you here is me thread" with a new picture of me so we won't have any more querries (LOL)

Last edited:
Sorry Krish:D Finally getting my aquascaping and coral placement more to my liking, once I can raise the hood I'll put the finishing touches on..
I'm pretty maxed out on the fish, but I'd like to squeeze a magnificent foxface in yet...Here's a view just after the tank was set up four months ago, and a view today.
DSC_0017-2.jpg

DSC_0005-6.jpg

Here's my latest arrival courtesy of John Mann (Fishermann), John has moved to Arkansas and he was kind enough to give me some primo fish and corals.
DSC_0009-5.jpg

I've moved all my ricordea from the frag tanks, the large rubble substrate should work great as they multiply.
DSC_0010-7.jpg

DSC_0011-7.jpg

And a few fish photos
DSC_0014-6.jpg

DSC_0015-10.jpg

DSC_0035-1.jpg

Last edited:
I'm having fun with the D40, wish I could afford a macro. Jason suggested that I take monthly photos so I can have an idea of how fast things are growing, it'd hard to tell when you are looking at it every day, isn't it.

Back