Johnpeezy's/freya's 45 gallon (kind of) build thread

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

johnpeezy

Banned
I'm really bad at taking pictures and updating progression on things of this nature BUT, here we go anyways.

The tank is a 45 gallon oceanic tech tank. w/built in overflow and 1/2" three sided starfire glass panels.
2aa4c84f.jpg

5e2b96c1.jpg

The stand was built for about 200 bucks complements of my dad thanks old man
He built it out of oak skinned plywood, a solid oak board for trim and some oak corner molding. We used a light coat of cherry stain and rubbed in a TON lof linnseed oil to give it a nice shine and preserve the wood. The white doors are from ikea 12 dollars w/hardware included, how could I say no to that ....We may change them later on down the road but they work for now I kind of like the white doors on it.

(he built this with a framing skillsaw, router, hammer and hardware, i guess forty+ year of being a carpenter pays off when the son needs a tank stand)

aa59f627.jpg

95141c8f.jpg

Together they stand about 5 feet tall, i didn't like the height at first but it has grown on me already in the few hours that I have had it.

31614151.jpg

I like the look of that tank already :D can't wait to see is stocked and running

Nice!! What are your plans for it?? :)

Honestly right now the plan that I have in regards to the tank is to get filled with water and and my dead rock in place by the end of November. I still have alot of work to do (I have everything just no time) like building my sump etc... Other then that its a reef.

wow that looks really good. it reminds me of when i set up my 200g cube. i built the stand 1' over on each side.
DSC03895.jpg

wow that looks really good. it reminds me of when i set up my 200g cube. i built the stand 1' over on each side.
DSC03895.jpg

That is beautiful, We had to build it longer so that we could get a 29 gallon under it for the sump. It is a tight squeeze but we got it to work! I'll try to snap a photo of the sump (well sump without the baffles in yet) later today. Besides the extra room gives us elbow rests and a shelf for all the random things that I know are going to be set there.

UPDATE!!!

I did stuff.

that is all...

just joking, heres what I did.
I finished bulding my sump
lots of silicone some acrylic and a glass box.
304fbf42.jpg

It was totally complex, lay down a fat gob of silicone around acrylic panels and POOF!! sump (this time I actually used aquarium silicone, to avoid what happened last time I built a sump) the panels were designed for a 20 long but I used a 29 gallon just incase of back flow due to power failure, cats falling in tank etc...
dcb6a518.jpg

Then I had to visit my local saltwater McGyver section of lowes (the plumbing department)

because ehiem pumps are to amazingly cool they are designed to use 3/8" inside diameter tubing. Those needed to be converted to 3/4" inside diameter tubing for the Oceanic tank bulkheads. So after staring at plumbing parts for about an hour, $5.00, and hacking a gravel vac hose to pieces, I plumbed the return pump(s) the second is for an additional frag tank that Myteemouse so kindly drilled for me).
8d563e88.jpg

Then I filled it with water in a failed attempt to flood my house(ans the people that live below me)

bdc38dcd.jpg

thats a picture of water, pretty sweet huh?

aab44c26.jpg

AND more water

Bought a battery backup for the tank yesterday at Fry's got a good deal and should last for while when the power goes out. Moved the tank into it's final resting spot today, sand and rocks tomorrow!

Sweet looking set up there. Can't wait to see it with the rocks and sand in it. What size are those Ehiems?

Looking good!! That's some clean rock!!! Are you going to seed the tank with anything because if I remember correctly, you were putting in dry/dead rock?? :)

Back