Josh's 55g Reef Journal

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

krish75 said:
That's a very neat little unit! I need to invest in an ro/di unit one of these days. I buy my water locally from a water plant every week, but I'm getting tired of lifting 20 gals of water every week (10 gals for water change and 10 for top offs):p

yup, these things are awesome i would never go without one anymore, i was stupid to sell my first one, but now it's all goood

MarineTeng said:
if you've got too much, you can dump some of your extra here...

lol, if you're ever in need, you can always stop by, i've got plenty

really, i'll probably take you up on that when i get back from san fran, right now my tank has water, but is bare save the sand and a couple of rubble rocks, i think i'm going to fish out some amphipods out of my other tank and add them, hopefully they'll multiply rapidly during the cycle, though i've used mostly cured things at this point, so i'm hoping it's all over by the time i get back the 11th

Protein Skimmer

i finally got a protein skimmer, it just arrived, i decided not to go with the euro reef. don't get me wrong, the euro reef is an awesome skimmer, but a guy like me likes to go alternate routes :) so i found a used Schuran Jetskim 150 for a moderate price. the skimmer just came in today, i found two broken part from shipping, there's a chipped piece in the collection cap, and chipped piece in the outlet, ohh well. these guys don't show up much around here, it's german made, supposed to be a descent skimmer, we will see...

PICT5752.jpg

"assembled" and rinsed the instant i got it

I have heard some good things about those. MY preference is to put my skimmer towards the front of my sump flow and then the refuge. mechanical before biological. just me though. I doubt anything will make it through the mag to easily to arive in the tank.

By the way my tap water in bellevue is in the mid 20's also. I am at 164th and ne 4th.

The Shuran is a SWEET skimmer. If I didn't have the choice of the H&S I would take the Shuran hands down. They are skimming monsters. Love em.

New Plan

yea, i read somewhere that the skimmer should come before the fuge, so here's the new plan (probably won't be the last)

sump1.jpg

Calcium Reactor

got my calcium reactor today from tim cole at barrier reef for a pretty good deal, it's a marine life aquatics CR-150 with a eheim 80gph pump, now i need a co2 tank and a regulator.... i think i'm 70% done with the initial setup... sigh... minimum wage is a draggggg, oh well

PICT5763.jpg

Little Preview of What is Yet To Come

i was cleaning out my 20l and all the massive amounts of algea off my coral frags for the first time ever since the algea breakout and realized how much color i actually have :D .. moral of the story = i should clean more

just a few of my frags, you have to wait to see the rest of them later ;)
PICT5752-1.jpg

couldn't resist, here is probably one of my favorites, rastas (i think that's the unoffical name), 13k w/ actinic lighting taken w/ a cheap japanese camera, in person they are deeep orange w/ the streaks of green
PICT5756.jpg

Hey Josh,
Everything is looking great. Where are you going to college? Hopefully you won't leave your tank to someone to maintain, that never seems to work. Sweet setup.

Blazer88 said:
Hey Josh,
Everything is looking great. Where are you going to college? Hopefully you won't leave your tank to someone to maintain, that never seems to work. Sweet setup.

hey, im going off to UW in the fall, i'm gonna have my tank at home and check up on it atleast once a week, yea i'm not gonna trust anyone with it, hopefully it doesn't crash too badly

josh

Plumbing

i finally finished the plumbing job on this tank, it's going to have a durso standpipe (thanks to time cole at barrier reefs for the hole drilling) for the drain and use a mag 7 (which i currently don't have) for the return. i used some purple primer to paint the elbow for the drain, it's very pretty :) also spray painted the pvc on the back all black. i decided to just go with a 15g sump, which i siliconed one baffle to. the silicone job as freakin messy, but i got it done.. i plan to screw the whole refugium plan, and go with a phosphate reactor of some sort for some nutrient export.

PICT5757.jpg

in progress

PICT5766.jpg

PICT5770.jpg

finished product

PICT5765.jpg

return loc line

PICT5768.jpg

PICT5769.jpg

sump baffle silicone job....

Back