Jumpin' Jawfish

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

LarryB

I woke up this morning to find my blue spot jawfish on the floor. As I went to pick him up I found he was still alive. I put him back in the tank and now he is upright on the bottom breathing hard. Other than that he dosen't look any worse for wear. I have no idea how long he was out of the water.
I have eggcrate covering the top but I guess that is not enough. I hope the stress of this adventure dosen't kill him, I guess I am just looking for moral support.

WOW! It sounds like you were just in time. I hope he snaps back for you! I think his chances are probably pretty good, he must have a strong will to live if he held out until you found him! Good luck :D

Susie

so far so good, he actually ate a little bit just now. Amazing, and hour ago he was on the carpet, now he is eating and squaring off with the mandarin just like it never happened. Tonights project is to really seal off the top of the tank.

Sorry to hear that, but I'm glad he seems to be pulling through. Good luck on sealing off the top. I had an arowana jump on me before, but he didn't make it. That sucked bigtime. Hope everything works out for you LarryB

Ok, time to put that eggcrate on there....and even then it may still get through those holes.

- Elmo ;)

Hey Larry, glad you found your lil guy in time to save him, this once happened to me with one of those FW betta's, i walked in the room and he was on the floor, sure enough he was still alive and i put him back in his bowl, he lived for quite awhile after, so i wish you the best as well!

Wow Larry,

It is bizarre how the lil guy could make his way past the eggcrate to escape. It sounds like he will be okay...look forward to hearing how he is doing!! It is such an awesome critter....smile.

Bob

Jawfish Update:

All day long at work I wondered how he was doing. I got home and looked all around the tank and could not see him (uh oh). Checked the floor, checked the top for a floater, nothing. Then, tucked way back in a new hole there he was, still alive. He is definitly not his jolly self, a close brush with death will do that to you, he seems alot more skittish, but he did eat.
tonights the night to get creative with cardboard to hopefully seal off the top for good. I am still keeping my fingers crossed but I do have that "doged a bullet" feeling.

larry,

I had a yellow headed Jawfish do the same thing! Jumped out the back of my tank. The gap was only like 2 inches. I used nylon screen to cover the gap. Wish I would have known they where "jumpers" before he did so and died.

Good luck.

James

Hey James,

Your from Buffalo? I grew up in Buffalo, West Seneca actually. Have some wings and a beef on weck for me would ya?

Larry

Nothing that I can think of that would cause him to jump, just him and a mandarin in there. Its funny, the past few days he has been out of his hole swimming around, almost like a normal fish. Little did I know he was planning to make a break for it. For now I have a cardboard cover over all the eggcrate except where the lights are. Now I just have to think of something on top of the eggcrate, under the lights.

glad the blue spot survived.
i lost a tiger blackcap jawfish about three weeks ago.
same thing, somehow went right through the egg crate during the day.
didn't make it to the floor though; sat there and baked a bit under the halides. pretty crispy by the time i got home.

lizardarm said:
glad the blue spot survived.
i lost a tiger blackcap jawfish about three weeks ago.
same thing, somehow went right through the egg crate during the day.
didn't make it to the floor though; sat there and baked a bit under the halides. pretty crispy by the time i got home.
:cry: Ggggggggggggge Guys.... i know what you mean.............i lost 2 pearly headed ones .... awhile back . i just haven't any ideas of a top...? that would work with my 55 reef..... i have allso lost a Gobi too, so jumpers they certainly are. hope your Egg Crate works well for ya . cw.

Back