Jumping back in after a six year hiatus…

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Alpental

Hello all,

Like the title says, I’m getting back into reef keeping after taking a six year break, so I just wanted to reintroduce myself.

I missed the hobby (maybe not the water changes), and I always knew I would get back into it, but it definitely happened a bit sooner than I thought. After a few trips to the pet store, my girlfriend pushed me back in, so here we go! Haha

After my 55 gallon corner tank, I’m going smaller this time around. I’ve got a 12 gallon JBJ nano cube, and I’m waiting on some LED strips that I plan on retrofitting into the hood. Wish me luck.

I’ll post some pics once I get the tank up and running.

Cheers,

Alpental

Well, its great to have you back here at RF. And I bet it feels good to be getting back into the hobby. Kind of exciting, isnt it!
Looking forward to pics.

Well, its great to have you back here at RF. And I bet it feels good to be getting back into the hobby. Kind of exciting, isnt it!
Looking forward to pics.

It is exciting! One of the biggest changes I've noticed since I've left the hobby has been with the lighting: LEDs. Also, smaller tanks seem to be gaining popularity.

Welcome back. What kind of led strips you getting?

Well, I’m operating on a budget, so I’m doing kind of a DIY job, but a simple one. I bought two 16 watt Wave Point LED clamp-on lights. I’m going to remove the strips from the lamps, and I am going to attach them onto the old reflector in the hood.

Im wishing you all the luck... well luck is not the key.... Im wishing you all the knowledge in the world... Welcome back.
Another huge change in the hobby besides the LED lighting, is the carbon (dosing) role in our reef tanks. And how well you can deal with NITRATES, where before, the only thing you can do is do a water change.

Back