Jumping clam

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Abissus

New in Hobby
I got this crocea several weeks ago and it is attached to a small piece of rock. However it keeps jumping off where I put it while still attached to that small rock.

It lies on it side so much that one side of the mantle seems larger than the other and one side of the shell has larger new growth than the other.

Now I am also concern because the last time I picked it back up I noticed it cannot close its shell, and I saw the 2 half shells are no longer attached at the corner of the clam on the byssus side. (I can see into the clam from the base). However after I put it back on the rocks it extended its mantle as normal.

Is this going to heal? Should I put the shells back together so they are touching to help it heal?

Why does it keep jumping with its rock?

Barry - is seeing through the clam a "normal" thing when beginning to attach? I recall in my larger crocea an area where I could see down through the clam's incurrent siphon and onto the surface of the rock. Some days it was closed up.

What you are seeing is the adductor muscle and yes it will close and open. :) If that is what you are referring too?

Must be :D, as it would open and close. Learning more about clam anatomy every day.....

Back