JBJ Nano-cube 24g
Kelan_TOTM_June_2012-2.jpg

Kelan_TOTM_June_2012-111.jpg
Filtration
CPR BakPak 2 Skimmer with Carbon in second chamber
10lbs of Aragamax Select Sand
12lbs of Live Rock

Live Stock
x2 Ocellaris Clownfish (Amphiprion ocellaris)
x1 Carpenter's Flasher Wrasse (Paracheilinus carpenteri)
x1 Yasha Haze Goby (Stonogobiops yasha)
x1 Blood Red Fire Shrimp (Lysmata debelius)
x1 1.5” Maxima Clam (Tridacna maxima)
Uknown Acropora
Blue Stag
Garf Bonsai Acro
Green Millepora
Various Montipora's
Pink Birdsnest
Tricolor Birdsnest
Green Birdsnest
Blastomussa
Hammer Coral
Torch Coral
x2 Chalices
Candy Cane
Green Star Polyps
x2 Acans
Ricordea Yuma
Various Zoanthids
Kelan_TOTM_June_2012-12.jpg

Kelan_TOTM_June_2012-91.jpg
Kelan_TOTM_June_2012-71.jpg

Date Tank Was Started
I would like to believe the tank started on April 17, 2011 as a 12g Nano-Cube but ended up transferring everything over to this current tank on January 9, 2012, so we can just consider that as one large water change :)

How Did You Get Into This Hobby?
I randomly walked into a local fish store that was strictly saltwater and I was enthralled, but thought the price for entry was too high. A year later I came back in and saw the Nano-cubes, did my research and the rest is history.
Kelan_TOTM_June_2012-62.jpg

Kelan_TOTM_June_2012-8.jpg
What Was Your Favorite Part of The Build?
Research, research, research. I love reading forums and books about anything related to the hobby. I am fairly new to the hobby which makes every aspect of this build a new adventure. Led's are definitely the new craze and I have kept very detailed logs regarding lighting intensities and have a few pictures documenting color change. The next best thing about this build is just sitting back and letting it grow. I opted for a lower rock structure as opposed to the more common “pile of rocks” which will hopefully allow for nice sps growth up top, now I just need to wait a few years.....

Dosing and Schedule.
Currently I am dosing 4ml of BRS 2-part every morning. Keeping my parameters at:
Alk – 9dkh
Calcium – 440
Mag - 1350

Feeding (Fish and Coral) and Schedule.
I feed a few Formula ONE Small Marine Pellets at noon and a squirt of Rod's Food Original at 6pm.
Kelan_TOTM_June_2012-3.jpg

Kelan_TOTM_June_2012-4.jpg
Do You Have a Favorite Fish and Why?
I have to admit my clowns have been quite enjoyable for the last year. I purchased them fairly small and have watch them go through the dominance phase and now I am hoping that they start spawning soon. I currently have a piece of tile in the tank they keep cleaning off and nipping at, so hopefully it will happen soon.

What Is Your Favorite Type of Coral?
I would have to say my green birdsnest, it has shown so much growth in such a short period of time, it would be the one coral I would be extremely sad about losing.

In addition, I would like to thank Charlie and Devon. As this tank would be no where near where it is, if it weren't for my two mentors. Thank you both for the wisdom and guidance.

To view Kelans tank thread click here

Last edited:
great lil looking tank u got their! I like how u left in kinda barren for it to grow out. Proves u got patience lol. Also ur GSPs are crazy kool how they grew.

Great tank Kelan. The simplistic look of the scape and all the room for growth was well thought out. Congrats. Who knew fish and coral could do so well in Big Sky Country :D

Wow, everyone thank you so much for the wonderful comments! I still can't believe I won TOTM!

Congrats on TOTM! I am with the posters above and love the zoa clam... way cool! I am also a HUGE Acan lover so of course I loved that picture too! Keep up the good work!

Yes, CONGRATS! Great job and agree with all ^above^ cannot wait to see it in another years growth.

Cheers, Todd

Back