Just a little more help with my pluming please

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

poriferabob

Here is that rough diagram of my of my plumbing one more time. Tank is a Oceanic 105 gallon RR.

A)Pentair Aquatics AF-92 Heater Module (Double)

B)Pentair Aquatics AF-93 Chemical Module (Double)

C)Pentair Aquatics AF-94 Mechanical Module (Double)

D) Quiet One 4000 High Head

My Questions are......

1) Where in this arrangement should I place any and all ballvalves??

2) I would like to have some type of drain hose for water changes.
Maybe a T controlled by a ball valve some where on the drain line???

3) Do I need to incorporate a check valve in there somewhere?

4) Im thinking of useing the flex tube that Ive seen on alot of other sumps for my drain line. Were can I find this??
Thanks

I personally would put one ball valve or better yet a True union ball valve like this http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merc...OD&Product_Code=BV10T-TU&Category_Code=Valves after "A" (going to the tank side) and before "C" (coming from the pump) so you can service the different components. A check valve IMO is not necessary (if I'm understanding your setup correctly) and all you would really need is a hole in your return spout to break the siphon once you return pump is shut off. Some people do both (drill a hole in their returns nozzle right below the water line as wellas use a chack valve) to be safe, but I've always had great success with just the hole (hope that's what you were referring to:) ) And for the flex pvc, you can get that from pretty much any pool company or I've heard people mention Home Depot the ribbed flex hose may be found the same place as well:). Good luck:)

Thanks for the help so far. :D

Here is a photo of the drain tube I found and plan to use. It fits very snug on the bulkhead as shown in the picture. Im a little uncomfortable with this though. If it were to ever come loose I would lose ALOT of water and flood my basement. If I add some of those metal hose clamps would that be enough to keep it on there ya think???
ebay2144.jpg

ebay2147.jpg

Also here is a photo of my refugium/sump that I constructed.
Any problems with it that stand out???
ebay2160.jpg

ebay2164.jpg

I think those clamps will do the trick:) About your sump...Looks great! If you personally built it yourself, you should pat yourself on the back:)

Sump looks great. Just make sure you have enough room in the event of a power failure.

Its actually a kit that I got from a guy off of ebay. All I had to do was cement everything together. Kind of fun to!!!! I think it holds about 25 gallons.

hi there, welcome to the forum, and good job on building all your own sump and that! I also feel a little uncomfortable with that tubing that you selected, I would recommend using 'spaflex' you can buy it at the local pool and spa store, or at homedepot or lowes. It will connect to the bulkhead that you aleady have, or and you can use it on standard slip plumbing fittings.

Back