just a pic of blue tuxedo urchin

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

keithinspokane

seems to have taken a liking to the feather dusters
urchinwdusters.jpg

the urchin is a very interesting animal.

Mine carries macro algae, snails corals rubble all over the place. he does do a good job eating coraline.

Oh my, that's too much. :lol:

So, when they pick something to decorate with, do they "step" on it and then cradle it on the top of their spines until it travels all the way up top?

That is very cool, I have one too and I love it, every once in a while it will pick up a hermit crab and carry it around the tank for a while. Always something to laugh at.:lol:

Tim

anybody know the full size on these specific types? i have read they get around 2 and half inches across,but then i have read that they get "big".i dont think mine has grown much since ive had it(2/8/07),so i think im leaning toward the 2 and a half inch range.

also,just a little tidbit for those that might not know(at least with this species) urchins can/will secrete sperm when they are stressed.i once had my urchin doing this during a silicon in the sump disaster,it pulled through.it will look like smoke is leaking from it.i guess this can happen from something as small as a water change,temperature spikes/drops,ect.

one question please.is coralline algae an urchins primary source of food,or do they eat other types of micros/macros also? part 2 :p do urchins eat every day? im only asking this because it doesnt seem like there would be any algae left on the glass at all with the way its able to strip it off of whatever.

Back