Just curious

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

ntswift

mako shark
I know people talk about switching salts and how it can shock the corals. What about when you bring it from one tank to another. I know you acclimate them to a point but isn't it kind of the same thing? Say if I got a coral from someone who ran IO and in my tank I run Oceanic, I drop it in and it gets stressed or shocked. But then say I do a water change on my tank and use IO instead of my normal Oceanic, is it a different kind of shock or what? Sorry this has just been puzzling me for a while now. :) TIA!

from what we read on this. the shock is not so much the type of salt but the new levels of additives in the salt or they do not mix the salt enough. IO and Reef Crystal is good example. Reef Crystals have high ALK and when hobbyist slowly switch over they do not take this into account so their levels go high and shock corals.

If you have establish tank and your levels are within range then you okay to add coral.

okay, that makes sense. I wasn't sure if it was just the chemistry of different ingredients or the levels that shocked them.

Back