Just got a D40

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Namyar

So I just got the Nikon D40 and the stock lens. I have been reading the manual and looking up as much info as possible. Does anyone here have suggestions on settings for the tank shots. Also where whould be a good place to get a better lens it came with the 18-55mm good but would like better.

look up KEH.com they have been in business 35+ years & very great service. I'd look into a used lens from them If you want to save money, give them a call. Maybe look into a 50 to 200mm with a fixed f2.8

Yeah, I second the suggestion for a 105 mm f/2.8. That's the lens I want for my new Nikon. It's pricey, though.

the f number refers to the aperature, which is the hole that lets light in when the shutter releases, essentially the smaller numbers like f/2.8 let in more light. so the lower numbers are better when buying the lens. Though with lower f numbers u get smaller depth of field (area in focus) which mostly comes into effect when taking macro shots.

if the nikon 105mm f2.8 costs to much u might consider the 90mm tamron f2.8 lets, it doesn't have vr but is considerably cheaper

or maybe try a 50mm macro lens f2.8 those are cheaper than the longer ones 90-110mm range and with shorter lens length you get more depth of field. but you also get less working distance (distance from you to the subject).

just some general advice for taking shots
use a tripod for corals
turn off water flow when taking shots
shoot perpendicular to the glass as much as possible (angles blur shots)

as for settings (i have a nikon d50 older version of d40)
i like to use the manual modes (M,A,S,P - respectively manual, aperature priority, shutter priority and programmed)
each of these have certain advantages
i don't really use M because u have to adjust aperature and shutter, it's just too much of a hassle for me, i find the other modes more flexible
I use A for coral shots (still shots/slow moving) because you have time to adjust it for the depth of field you want and the slower shutter won't make the picture blurry as easily. also i like to use ISO 200 for lowest noise. on this mode the shutter adjusts to the aperature to let in the proper amount of light. also optimal for most lens for aperature is f/4 to f/11 speaking in terms of sharpness, though i still find it hard to tell a huge difference higher or lower but i try to stay in that range
I use S for fish shots (fast moving). I set the shutter to at least 1/250 of a second (displayed as 250) to get sharper pictures. i like to use ISO 400 to let in more light than ISO 200 and still little noise. on this mode the aperature adjusts to the shutter to properly expose the picture
as for P i really don't use this for my aquarium but for when i'm just going out to take pictures, it quickly adjusts aperature and shutter for you so you don't miss shots where as in my aquarium they're all staying in the box. I suppose if the situation arose that something require a quick shot came up i'd use this mode.

other quick notes
i don't use a flash, hard to work with with the glass and changes the whole color scheme though some people use remote flashes and put them pointing down into the tank, haven't tried that yet
white balance - either use auto or the setting cloudy, i think it'll probably default to cloudy anyways, using the custom preset is technically the best but takes a lot of time to get good at (i'm still not that great at getting what i want with it)
quality - i shoot in raw+jpeg cause i edit CS3 and like to have a quick preview with the jpegs on my comp
if you have any questions feel free to ask

o and www.bhphotovideo.com is a good place to get stuff, reputable business with good prices

Last edited:
It depends on the type of shots you want to take...I recommend the 105 mm...

Here are my shots...this is with a photo box top down on a d40 with 18-200mm lens (these could be better, but I had to hold the photo box and the camera at the same time, so I get a little shake with it, but it should give you an idea)
Sunrisemonticopy.jpg

pinklemonadecopy.jpg

HOFRiddleracrocopy.jpg

Side shots with D40 and the 105mm micro...
redgreencypasterea.jpg

anuestrea3.jpg

calitort1.jpg

ganggreencypasterea1.jpg

Advice, invest in a good lens, no knock offs...nikon stuff...take alot of pics and just mess with every setting in the camera to see what works for you. I would also recommend a tri-pod and a remote to prevent any sort of camera shake.

I agree very nice pics as for the information given to me above thank you very much that is great info I will have to try everything.

The only issue with buying only Nikon lenses is cost, three times more than a professional off brand, unless your a pro or taking photos with a film camera your not using the outer edges of the lens with this camera to justify that cost. Yes they are better, no argument there & I have both but I'm not selling to sports illustrated either LOL!

Not bad Ray, you have some nice corals.
Taking tank photos takes practice but in time you will get better. Maybe we can look at a little critiques to get you to try a few things?
Anthony made a great posting today, let me find it!

Back