Just made my own food.

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

akunochi

Mr. Reckless
I stole a note from Melev and decided to make my own food.

I started by liquefying some fresh Oysters kind of like oyster feast. 69 cents each @ Uwajimaya

Then I added a seafood mix of squid leg, octopus, scallop, shrimp and small clams. 2.99 @ uwajimaya

Dropped in a pack of small mysis shrimp, brine shrimp and tiny krill shrimp. Had them on hand.

Added half a pack of prawn roe. Also on hand.

I them blended to a consistency of mush leave small chunks that the fish can still eat.

The results so far are a complete feeding frenzy. Total cost was around 4 bucks give or take...

Even if I had to buy the frozen brine/mysis etc it would be around 15-20 bucks. The end result was a 1 gallon bag of delicious fish food.

Thoughts for next time: Spinurla (sp) powder, some fresh Crab (I had it but ate it).

Welcome to suggestions.

Maybe next time try adding some garlic to your mix. I dont know if you have tangs in your tank but also some nori sheets to it too.

I do have tangs. I keep a fresh nori sheet on the vegi clip so I didn't see the need to add it.

Why the garlic?

i use oysters, scallops, shrimp, octopus, mussels, clams, mysis shrimp, brine shrimp, krill, silversides, zoecon, nori, and make sure to rinse everything with RO water really well or you will see your phosphates rise becuase food grade or not the seafood has a preservative coating on it, even most fresh seafood is rinsed so its a good idea to rinse it very well before grinding it all and mixing it. My formula makes about 5lbs and lasts a very long time and it only costs about 25-30$ tops mainly because of the mysis and krill.

The garlic is supposed to enhance appetite and palatability, from what I've read. There's also a boost to the immune system somewhere in the mix. If fish were anything like humans (like me, at least) there's nothing they wouldn't do for a little splash of garlic! :)

I agree I love me some garlic. Is there a certain amount I use per mix?

I do my own food too, but not as good of a variety as you!
I do about a half a teaspoon of the juice and garlic to what amounts to a
sheet the size you'd buy of the fish store frozen food if that makes sense...
not awake yet!

Ok so I would probably use about a teaspoon and a half then or so?

I think so, others will chime in tho.. since I make a smaller amount they may
have other suggestions. Its not too much I don't think for what you said.

Lee was telling me about it, that it doesn't help with immune system issues but for getting them to eat, yes.

I have wanted to try this, but am considered about phosphates and would need a dedicated blender to make it. (wife's orders)
:):)

LOL Yeah I would get a cheap food processor....like 35$ at walmart.

Well I am the wife so no troubles there! :lol:
I use a small food processor that holds a cup and a half, but I am
only doing a small bit at a time.
They wash up just fine in the dishwasher. But maybe with some of the
smellier things, it might keep a smell or add a taste.. not sure there!!

LOL Well thta makes it easier. I don't think it does but maybe over the long run it will?

Back