just picked up a 90G tank, need to build a stand......

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

KrautBurner

too "edgy" for this place
anyone wanna help?

I'm in Kitsap,

wondering if anyone has any ideas that I should consider before starting?
should I just build a basic stand like I already have? should I use 4x4's for the framing?

any suggestions would be great

Russ

I think 4x4s would be overkill. 2x4, 2x6 would work fine. There are plans online that you can use. I guess the first question is if you like the stand you have? I'd also look at build threads for 90 gallon tanks to see what other people have done and maybe find a better design. It's all about planning at this stage. :)

Yep think about your access to sump, additional equipment, finishes, do you want a little shelf around the tank to set things on? etc etc.

Especially allow plenty of cabinet interior hight for that massive skimmer you'll be wanting and the clearance you'll be needing to maintain it. most sumps are 16-18'' tall and you'll want to plan perhaps 12" access from wall hight to interior ceiling. Perhaps say 28" interior hight minimum from cabinet floor to ceiling of interior cabinet. I learned too late about mine, learn from my mistake and couldn't use the skimmer I really wanted --to tall to fit.

I"d build it out of solid plywood but thats just me. 4x4s is way too over kill. 2x4s will be fine. Make it tall enough to get your skimmer cup in and out without a big struggle.

+1 on plywood with a hardwood face frame and structural supports. You can see my build thread in my sig below for some ideas and tools used.

Cheers, Todd

I think 4x4s would be overkill. 2x4, 2x6 would work fine. There are plans online that you can use. I guess the first question is if you like the stand you have? I'd also look at build threads for 90 gallon tanks to see what other people have done and maybe find a better design. It's all about planning at this stage. :)

agreed,
I decided to do a frame out of some "donated" locally milled 1x5" port orfard cedar

overall, I like the stand I have, but would like a little more room inside, and easier access to the sump.

Yep think about your access to sump, additional equipment, finishes, do you want a little shelf around the tank to set things on? etc etc.

I was interested in a shelf/ledge around the tank
but the wife says no

Especially allow plenty of cabinet interior hight for that massive skimmer you'll be wanting and the clearance you'll be needing to maintain it. most sumps are 16-18'' tall and you'll want to plan perhaps 12" access from wall hight to interior ceiling. Perhaps say 28" interior hight minimum from cabinet floor to ceiling of interior cabinet. I learned too late about mine, learn from my mistake and couldn't use the skimmer I really wanted --to tall to fit.

not an issue,
most tank stands are 28-30" tall
my current stand is 34" tall (I think it looks better to get the stand up to a better viewing height)

new stand will be about 37" tall
(that along with the 4" taller tank will equal over 6" taller presance in the room)

I"d build it out of solid plywood but thats just me. 4x4s is way too over kill. 2x4s will be fine. Make it tall enough to get your skimmer cup in and out without a big struggle.

I went ahead and built a frame out of 1x5" stock
will sheeth it in 1/2" cabnet grade plywood (no doubt it will be strong enough)

most store bought stands are just plywood anyways.

Pics Coming

copied from another forum...

started working on the stand (2 weeks ago, havn't done anything since)

searching other build threads, I decided I would basicly copy this design for the frame

298990_10150289366360868_554350867_8189667_383449262_n.jpg

I went slightly oversized, want a larger sump inside, as well as a small ledge for trim work
I love having a TALL tank stand, I believe it gives the tank much better presance in the room

it's 36" tall (will be just under 37" tall with the top and bottom)
and 48" long 19" deep

here's the stack of wood I had access to (for free)
it's "local" Port Orford Cedar (actually more of a cyprus) from near Coos Bay, Oregon

298067_10150300418765868_554350867_8253490_1628588361_n.jpg
it was milled into 1x6 Toung and Groove planks that we milled the toung and groovs off, and cut to length

318379_10150300420450868_554350867_8253494_1375200108_n.jpg

here is my friend Casey helping me throw a few screws into that wood
(it's heald together with over 50 2.5" fine thread drywall screws, as well as a couple dozen 1-5/8" screws)

297526_10150304619430868_554350867_8272261_1128932585_n.jpg
it seems pretty stable so far.

just needs to be sheethed with Plywood
and have the doors made
then caulk and paint.

Back