just shoowing off

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got a new camera last week (Nikon D50) and messed around with HDR for the first time (that's why the polyps are blurry and snail in back is ghosting).

greentable.jpg

Acro is a green table from Dang's tank. I've had it a little over a year. It never had great color in my 55. When I upgraded to 120 in June I positioned it much higher and directly under one of the MH bulbs. Now the yellow is brighter and it's getting faint blue tips.

Got a new camera last week (Nikon D50) and messed around with HDR for the first time (that's why the polyps are blurry and snail in back is ghosting).

greentable.jpg

Acro is a green table from Dang's tank. I've had it a little over a year. It never had great color in my 55. When I upgraded to 120 in June I positioned it much higher and directly under one of the MH bulbs. Now the yellow is brighter and it's getting faint blue tips.

Tom ,,all looking good,,keep it up:)

I have the same green table from Dang. It is a nice coral. What is HDR?

HDR

HDR stands for high dynamic range. It lets you capture the stuff in the shadows as well as the stuff in really bright light in one single shot. There's a few ways to do it, but I do it by going in manual mode on the camera and setting the aperture/shutter speed/ISO for a normal shot. Then I take more pictures by only adjusting the shutter speed (both up and down) from the normal shot. Combine those shots using Photomatix.

It has the effect of making really bright things in an image dimmer so you can see the detail in them, and making really dark things brighter so you can also see the detail in them.

I loosely followed this tutorial, though I didn't use AEV bracketing or a RAW image. I just manually shot each photo by altering the shutter speed. I did 7 shots, not 3 like the tutorial recommends. It's important to use a tripod for this as you want the camera to remain still between shots. Also for the shots I took I only had actinics on, so I had to do exposures of up to 6 or 8 seconds using ISO 200. Something I didn't do but should have was turn off the water flow while I did it. If I did that, the polyps wouldn't be so blurry I don't think.

My new ORA red planet:
RedPlanet.jpg

Daisy Favia that is starting to color up a bit. Got this at the NWCFM down in Portland:
DaisyFavia.jpg

I got this monti from the guys down at Barrier. It has really taken off. I am going to have to cut the branch it is on, as it is butting up against a tri-color that looks like it is winning the territory dispute.
BlueMonti.jpg

Crayola acro from NWCFM that is starting to grow some nubs.
CrayolaAcro.jpg

RightSide.jpg

Pink milli:
PinkMilli.jpg

ORA supernatural cap
SupernaturalCap.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back