Just starting

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

For your mushrooms, they are not light hungry. They like shadey spots in your tank. Any type of light will do.

As for what kind of lights, you need to ask yourself what type of coral you want to keep. This may be a pain in the butt question for me to ask, but, the type of lights you need depend on the corals you want. Aslo you need to take your budget into consideration. If you don't have a huge budget then we need to find a better alternative.

Check out the Coral Gallery here on Reef Frontiers. It is seperated by coral type and the staff has made an awsome liberary. The next best thing would be to go see some at your LFS (Local Fish Store) Here you get to see the real true colors. How they move and react to diffrent environments. I like flowy corals. Frogspawn, Hammer, Colt, Kenya Tree and I do like hard corals, they give great shapes and lines. My Favorites are Blasstomussa. It is going to be tough to decide at first, until you learn about them. Only advice I have, stay away from SPS for now. wait until you know about your tank Parameters. It takes alot of learning to remember it all and learning to walk is alot easier to learn to run. Pateince pays off in this hobby. Ask Krish :)

I have to agree with Ron on that, It is difficult to tell someone what lighting they need without lots of information, personally If I was just starting out I'd start small & work my way up to bigger & better as I learn, if will save you some from dumping a ton of money upfront.

Back