Kalk wasser need to know

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

gandolf

I have to dose with kalk wasser because my Cal reactor is down . Now anyone dosing out there and if so how is your setup. I have to make it up one gal at a time and putin bag and use a kangaroo 324.

I built this tube thing (kalk reactor). I feed it from the freshwater make up container up top and gravity feed the reactor below. I adjust daily the drip into the sump with a quick connect valve. I really have a hard time with auto stuff still and want to have a daily hand around my tank.

I would dose alk and calcium.Keep testing you alk as a kalk reactor very well may NOT keep up the demands your calcium reactor did. I wish you luck,test every 48 hours until you know how your dosing is going.

:)

Paul

With adding kalk there are a few methods. One is the way you are doing and the way I used to do it - using a gallon jug and dripping it in. Another method would be to get a Nilsen Reactor which is the same idea, but it holds a bulk amount of Calcium Hydroxide and mixes for you. It is preferable that you mix the kalk at least an hour before you start dripping. I also recommend that you dose only between an hour after your lights are off and an hour before your lights come on as dosing will increase your pH. Since your pH should drop when the lights are off this will give you a more stable pH. If you were to dose during the day as your pH is naturally rising it would increase the swing. I now let water evaporate during the day and at night have my Nilsen Reactor mix and dose until I have compensated for daily evaporation.

If you use a ato the Tunze type doser cannot be beat. You really dont need a stirrer if you you have a ato. I'm sure you could make a good one for less than $10.

Don

I mix a 2.5 gallon mix from fresh water. Then let it settle down. We dont need the white part but just the clear part.

Then put an airline maybe half inch from the white powder so not to suck it accidentally.

I use a "aqualifter" and drip it to the sump. Im using those garden dripper wherein you can buy a 1 gallon per hour drip or any volume you want.

I am using a half gallon per hour.... Then put my aqualifter to timer and drip at night for 3 hours.

For some reason, half gallon per hour is half gallon per 3 hours.

So my 2.5 gallon mix is good for 5 days. \

So far so good.

If you are referring to me then my answer is yes.... I have 3 to 5 gallons evap during summer specially in recent days. so my 10 gallon reservoir last me 2 to 3 days :D

Don, I've been looking at getting a kalk reactor. Are you saying the Tunze calcium (whatever they call it) dipenser works just as well? I am going to buy the Tunze auto topoff system for sure, but was just going to buy a seperate kalk "stirrer", if the dispenser works the same I might as well go with that. Thanks.

Don, I've been looking at getting a kalk reactor. Are you saying the Tunze calcium (whatever they call it) dipenser works just as well? I am going to buy the Tunze auto topoff system for sure, but was just going to buy a seperate kalk "stirrer", if the dispenser works the same I might as well go with that. Thanks.

They work just fine especially for smaller tanks 150g or less. They dont hold as much kalk as the bigger reactors but you can get by for a week on what they do hold.

Don

Thanks Don, that would surely be a cheaper route. I posted this on another site.......where I originally started my SW hobby and they seemed to think a kalk reactor would work better? Thanks again.

Thanks Don, that would surely be a cheaper route. I posted this on another site.......where I originally started my SW hobby and they seemed to think a kalk reactor would work better? Thanks again.

Saturated water is saturated water there is NO "better" it is what it is. There are many ways to get this done.

Don

Back