kalkreactor or calcium reactor?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

lizardarm

Reptilian Disco Biscuit
between a rock and a hard place: (Bremerton, WA)
kalkreactor or calcium reactor?
Well, as the title implies, seeking peoples input on which method is prefered and why. I've used a calcium reactor in the past, and once I figured out how to dial it in correctly had no real complaints. But I thought I'd give these kalkreactors a look this time.
Any input is greatly appreciated, T.I.A.
-Chris

Kalk reactors are a nice addition to any system. Just like everything else they require a little more than just the reactor to get it up and running. Youll need a way to feed it fresh water either via a holding tank and auto top off system or via the rodi and a ATO.
There are three basic types. Magnet stirred, pump stirred or bar stirred. The magnetics work fine and are ok for small reactor. The pump type work fine but way over stir. The bar type IMO are the best of both worlds. Stiring really only need to be a real gentle mixing motion keeping slurry low in the reactor. Pump type toss the slurry around the entire reactor. The problem is that if the slurry is up high it will dose slurry. This can be avoided by adding a timer system.
No matter what option you choose, like I stated before you do need a good ato system for the kalk reactor to be safe.

Don

Thanks Don,
(great looking stand B.T.W.)
I've got a 75 gpd RO/DI set up that I'll be hooking up.
As for the ATO, I was thinking that I would use this onehttp://www.aquahub.com/store/diygaquarium.html;
It seems like a reasonably good deal.
I have also been looking over the different types of kalkreactors as you
mentioned. MRC has a pretty nice looking one http://www.myreefcreations.com/nilsen.htmthat uses a bar-stirring design, and comes with dual timers which I could correlate with a timer on the ATO to avoid pumping the kalk slurry into the sump. I've seen a few that utilized pumps for much lower cost than the MRC unit, but it seems like the pump would fail after not long in that lime calcerous environment.

That new MRC reactor looks real nice. I think if I was in the market that what I would go for. Aquamedic makes a cheaper one but I like the MRC better. Fishbowl also makes a nice compact magnet reactor.
That ato on the other hand would be the second to the last on my list.

Don

Im going to follow along here! I would also like to knoe if you only had the room for one system wich would it be and why?

yeah, the Fishbowl unit was one of the first that I'd looked at.

can you expound on that Don?

I wont go into brand preference since I'm a vendor, I'll just explain my comment.
Well first and formost there is NO such thing as a waterproof float switch. Its a coin toss as to when it will leak and to what possition it will stick in. Scooty can verify this as he just lost one due to a leak. They need to be mounted properly in a sealed pvc housing so that the epoxy wire entry point does not get wet.
Relays come in different qualities and styles. The big block type relays relays work but they have a big coil and require more juice. This in turn causes a spike when they release, something that happens with any dc coil be it a solenoid or a relay. What most if not all people leave out is the capacitor to absorb this shock. When the relay was rated for the life cycle it included the proper components not just a bare relay. A SSR is the cure and will net the full life of the relay.
Those kits are $50, I think you can do better for a few extra bucks and not have to make it yourself.

Don

!
I would also like to knoe if you only had the room for one system wich would it be and why?
well, a calcium reactor package will generally take up more space than a kalkreactor only because there's more equipment involved.
I'm not entirely sold on the kalkreactor over the calcium reactor; more just interested in seeing what peoples preferences were and why. Like I had posted earlier, I've used a calcium reactor in the past and damn near throught the thing in the garbage at first. But after reading a great article (which I can't find the link to now) on dialing them in everything just made more sense and I was able to get it dialed in and it really became pretty much maintanence free after that; so between one or the other, I'd go with the calcium reactor.

If I had a choice of only one it would be a calcium reactor if the tank is going to be heavy on sps. If not Id just use a kalk reactor for the added ph.

There are 3 ato listed so far on my site. The first one is probably the nicest of all and has been tested for a couple of years without failure. Besides everyone needs a powerstrip and to buy a nice metal one is going to cost $30 anyways so that makes it a pretty sweet deal.

Don

Another related question I've got is wether the dual chamber reactors really make enough of a difference in overall effectiveness to justify the expense. Again, any input appreciated.

I wouldnt do a dual chamber but if you get a inefficient reactor they do work to help with the ph issues. I'd just get one that didnt rely on the second chamber to be efficient. The way they get fed makes all the difference.

Don

are we talking about the way the water is fed, i.e. via a seperate feed pump or by suction from the circulation pump or are we talking the way the co2 is fed?

The way the water is fed. If its pulled (sucked) through the reactor there is less co2 buildup. The water stays full all the time leaving no room for extra co2. Of course some reactors are just plain efficient. One is the schuran pico. The thing recirculates co2 so well it looks like soda water.

Don

Back