Kalkwasser Reactor and / or Calcium Reactor !?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Zurk

I've been doing some research on the internet, about Calcium Reactors and Kalkwasser Reactors and can't find a concrete answer to my question:
Kalkwasser Reactor and Calcium Reactor or just one of them !?
A Calcium Reactor will add calcium to the water, but, it can also lower the PH, trough the CO2.
With Kalkwasser, the alkalinity would rise, and increase the PH, reducing at same time the phosphates (!?).
Kalk, would also add calcium, but, not higher than 400 p.p.m.; in the other and, Calcium Reactor can add higher concentrations of calcium.
So, the complement, would be the best thing to do. Right ?
Calcium Reactor - adds calcium
Kalk - adds calcium + rises PH + rises alkalinity + coraline algae (grows faster)

Another problem. Adding kalkwasser as to be done in a very cautious way; I mean, the 'dust' of the Kalk, can't get in the aquarium, just the water already mixed, but, 'dust' free ?

The preparation (Kalk) only lasts for 5 days (top), ever if 100Lts is made, by the 5th day, it runs out of 'vality).

It's better to add the Kalk, drop-by-drop, instead of using reactors and the reposition system to inject lots of kalk at the same time.
Well, it's a too big question, already.
Any help is welcomed.
Thanks

Zurk

Zurk,

I think having both items running together gives the best balance in your system. if I was only goingto start with one, I would get the Kalk Reactor.

The kalk reator is nice just for the simple fact you don't have to mix the kalk powder all the time. Just set up the kalk reator and leave it alone, until you have to fill it. The kalk powder in the reactor gets actually used up, so you are not having to clean out a thick paste of powder frequently. Just refill the powder.

What type of tank are you running? SPS, Clam, LPS, MIxed?

I had the same problem when i was debating this and i started out with the Calc. I have been running it for about two months now and my calcium is at 480 and my Ph is at a steady 8.4. Right now though i am looking to add a kalk reactor so i can still drip in kalk. Start with Kalk unless you can afford Calc. If you can afford both get both. Remeber though to set your calc at like a drip per second and do not run it without a controller unless you are planning on testing daily. It's just easier though to pay the $100 bucks and get the controller.

Welcome to Reef Frontiers!!!

jg24 said:
Zurk,

I think having both items running together gives the best balance in your system. if I was only goingto start with one, I would get the Kalk Reactor.

The kalk reator is nice just for the simple fact you don't have to mix the kalk powder all the time. Just set up the kalk reator and leave it alone, until you have to fill it. The kalk powder in the reactor gets actually used up, so you are not having to clean out a thick paste of powder frequently. Just refill the powder.

What type of tank are you running? SPS, Clam, LPS, MIxed?

I agree with this. If you use both, the kalk is a nice complement to the calcium reactor. However, until your calcium demand is high enough to warrant a calcium reactor, the kalk reactor is a good place to start.

Here are a bunch of articles on Calcium Reactors and Kalkwasser: Water Chemistry - Calcium, Alkalinity and pH

Back