kalkwasser vs. Aragonite

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

mofro

I need some clarity (or more cofusion) with regards to effects of kalkwasser on aragonite. I have a remote dsb in my sump, using caribsea oolitic sand. My tank has quite a high Ca and Alk demand, which i try to sustain by using aragamilk, Seachems reef advantage Ca. and reef builder. I use aragamilk for remin of my Ro water, as well as dosing the tank. I maintain quite staedy parameters for Ca this way, but my budget does not remain steady with the costs. I also struggle to keep my alk above 2.5 Meq. Everyone advocates the use of kalkwasser in my ro top up water, but I have been against the use of kalkwasser in conjunction with aragonite, and recently read an article by Greenfield supporting this, as well as another article by Tom Miller, advising against this. Basically what concerns me is precipitation of CaCo3 onto aragonite, rendering it "useless" Please clarify some of the issues for me.

Well I wrote a long answer, but it didnt show up. I think my wireless screwed up.
So here goes again.
Araganite is quickly covered by a biofilm. Then it doesnt really buffer much anymore, also since it is covered with bacteria, it really isnt a great site for Kalk to precipt out.
Just my opinions, and I have been wrong before. Thats it boiled down as best I could.

I would say kalkwasser is much better than aragonite, unless the aragonite is contained within a calcium reactor, where it can be properly dissolved.

Kalkwasser, Ca(OH), is a great solution, you just need to drip slowly.

-Josh-:cool:

Read through some of the links Steve-s gave. Basically, Miller and Greenfiled do not know what the are talking about. Second, stop using grap like Aragamilk, which creates even more problems :D

I guess you would have to ask yourself. Exactly what is Aragamilk? Not what the maker claims it does, but really what is it. If you cant answer that, why would you want to use it? You could save some cash and buy calcium chloride. At minimum you know what your putting into the system.

Don

Back