Kalwasser

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

I have a kalk reactor i made set to stir every hour. It drips continuously. So i am dripping even when it is stirring. The cloudy effluent stays 5" away from the drain line when fully stirred up because of the hight of the reactor. Works well and my ph stays very accurate. I use a ph monitor and test every Sunday to make sure with a kit.
I think it all comes down to weather the water is clear or not. It's the clear effluent you want to drip.

Roughly 24hrs is the usually recommendation, but more importantly you just want to make sure you are adding only the clear supernatant.

I Let Mine Sit For About An Hour Or So. I Made My Own Dripper Out Of A Gallon Apple Juice Bottle With Airline Tubing Coming Out Of The Top. The Tubing Goes Down To About Two Inches From The Bottom. That Way It Doesnt Allow The Settlement To Go Into The Tank

I have heard till its clear or 24hrs. I wish one of the RF Gurus would chime in with the correct answer.

I have heard till its clear or 24hrs. I wish one of the RF Gurus would chime in with the correct answer.

There is no set time frame. Until it pretty clear is how long you should wait. Just mix some up and see how long it takes. If you use the same amount all the time then it will be close to same all the time, you just need to develop a system. Rodi water alone will only hold 2 tsp per gallon of pure kalk, just keep that in mind and always avoid dosing any powder. Of course keep a tight lid on it and dont stir for extended periods of time.

Don

Yep, until clear. I've even dripped the cloudy stuff on several occasions (Calfo calls this his slurry method) without ill effects. It's not a life/death situation. Just wait until it's clear. Mine usually clears in well under an hour.

Back