keeping the syphon going on HOB Overflow

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

What type do you have? Some types, once you have the siphon you will never lose it however, with some like the CPR style overflow, you will need something like an aqualifter or powerhead in order for it to maintain it's siphon. Let us know what type you have :)

Yes please explain what type. I have the U-Tube type and never lost siphon even with power cut off for long time.

Now with the CPR type, I heard that you need the aqualifter in combo for it to have a non stop continues flow.

You are right, it is a CPR over flow. The LFS has the same one on their 150gal. There is a nipple on the top, this is where you suck the air out to get the syphon started. The LFS has their air line in the tank, underwater, so it doesn't lose syphon. I didn't feel very comfortable using that method so I hooked the air line to the venturi on the output side of my maxi jet 900 power head.

Will this be ok, or are there better ways of doing so?
Thanks.

Yes this is ok (i guess). What I mean is, there are too many things involve. And the rule was to keep it simple. In your case, I think that is the simplest way of doing it unless you change your overflow to another.

Lets just hope that you your maxijet wont have any mechanical problem. so you will be watching two equipment instead of just the overflow.

I maybe wrong but just playing with scenarios.

I had a CPR overflow and tried the powerhead and it worked, but the powerhead stopped working and I lost siphon. Also, with a powerhead, you will have an extra powerhead sitting in the tank (although I did get mine to work sitting in the sump) which takes away from the beauty so I'd personally go with an aqualifter and keep a spare on hand incase it fails. They are cheap (like $15-20) and will sit outside of the tank. I'll fetch you a picture real quick of my old setup with the aqualifter :)

Here's what the aqualifter lookes like connected to the CPR. The aqualifter sucks water and air in from the nipple on the CPR, it runs through the little prefilter you see hanging off the back of the overflow (optional) and then the aqualifter drains the water either back into the tank or in the overflow...Whichever you choose :)

Back