Kent tech M dosing

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

DonW

R.I.P.
I'm trying to dose kent tech M with a dosing pump. If you get air in the jug it precips or you have to shake it up in order to dose manually. This kind of defeats the purpose of the dosing pump. Is there a solution or a different product that will stay mixed?

Thanks
Don

Sory I'm late here Don. I' not to familar with this suff but I'll do some checking for you and get back to you on Wednesday.

I'm trying to dose kent tech M with a dosing pump. If you get air in the jug it precips or you have to shake it up in order to dose manually. This kind of defeats the purpose of the dosing pump. Is there a solution or a different product that will stay mixed?

Thanks
Don
Not familiar with the way you are dosing, but if you are looking to raise your magnesium levels (thus the reason for dosing Tech M) and wanting to use your current dosing method, then you might want to try Tropic Marin's Magnesium supplement.

You could also use epsom salts (and there are those here that advocate that), but as a general rule of thumb I would recommend supplements made for aquariums. The other general rule of thumb is that if a certain thing has worked for you then stick with it. In this hobby there is DEFINATELY more than one way to skin a cat.

Anne

The thing is, in order to pump liquid out, you have to let some air in, unless you load the liquid into an IV type bag that is collapsible.

I've had good luck with the ESV Mg supplement and an aqualifter pump.

The thing is, in order to pump liquid out, you have to let some air in, unless you load the liquid into an IV type bag that is collapsible.

I've had good luck with the ESV Mg supplement and an aqualifter pump.
I have just used an IV type bag or the Kent doser. Not really much room for anything else that high tech. Yeah, getting the drip just right can be tricky at times, but at least the technology is simple. :)

Anne

Don

I see you have solved the issue but I'm still working on the real reason. All I can say for now is what I know and think but I PM Randy for you to see what he says.

Noramlly, if you mix up a sulfate and choride mag sup there may be a precip if you fully dissolve both ingredients separately. That precipitate is calcium sulfate. Ther Ca++ comes from impurities in the chlroide and sulfate. The solution is to do what you have done shake it, although I like the IV/balloon trick. It may be that CO2 is leaving solution and getting trapped in the upper air space, raising the pH of the solution, thus precip. When mixed/shaked the CO2 brings it back into soltuion or the solution is just to concentrated. If you dissolved enough table salt in a jug the same thing will happen. Therefore, diluting it my work. It also may have something to do with temp or temp shift from when first mixed.

Thanks Boomer.
Its just liquid additive I buy by the 4 gallon case. Not a big deal I'm just being lazy and want to auto dose but need to go up 8ft and over around 20ft so a dosing pump is best. I did ask in the rc forum I basicly got the normal auto dosing is not necessary response. I can dilute it to around 500ml to a gallon of rodi and it does fine but thats two weeks per gallon so months worth is going to take up to much space. The displacement bladder works good but has to be pushed into the rodi while its running to make it up and over.

Thanks
Don

Don, I just got back a PM from Randy:lol: He says Boom, this guy 'link" is having the same issue. Ok I say, Randy has an answer maybe and it is you:D

In the Pm's we had no real idea. One was Randy's "is there any evap" ? I did not think of this one but told him that may make sense, as the balloon or IV would not have this. That is if your Jug is open and allows for evap. ???

We also brought up the temp issue. Randy asked me if I thought there would be enough of a pH shift to cause precip as MgCO3 ( he thinks I'm the expert on the stuff) due to CO2 in the upper bag. I told him I have no clue and was just guessing. If your Jug is sealed and can not have any evap we are both clueless, as to why the air does its thing, other than may my wild maybe nonsense guess :lol:We think that if you dilute the stuff it will not be an issue.

There shouldnt be much in the way of evap. I just drilled a 1/16 hole for air in the lid and a 1/8 for the hose. I may just try another brand since this is my last gallon anyways. Any suggestions?

Don

Suggestions, well first would you like to make your own or just buy it ?

If not then Warner Marine Research Balanced-Ion Magnesium Supplement.
http://www.warnermarine.com/indexsite.html

or SeaChem Labs Reef Advantage Magnesium

Maybe they will not caue the same issue, at least we hope.

DIY, yes it is in this article, do not let the title fool you :D

An Improved Do-it-Yourself Two-Part Calcium and Alkalinity Supplement System
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-02/rhf/index.php

I'd rather just buy it. I''ll order up the WM, their kalk is good stuff.

Thanks
Don
Don, I have made small batches of really concentrated Tropic Marin's Magnesium supplement and not had a problem with precipitation (at least I think that is the main problem that you are posting about. Chemistry is way over my head---but just chipping in some of my experience). Back when I was first starting our tank--I found that it took forever and massive amounts of Tech M to get the mg up to where it was supposed to be. Tropic Marin does it a lot quicker. I won't use their calcium supplement anymore, though. Dang stuff foams up and I can't keep it in the jar.

HTH

Anne

Back