Kill it All....

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

parajack

What is the most effective way to completely, 100% no questions asked, kill anything and everything on my several hundred pounds of dried out base rock which I'll be using to dry aquascape my 330? I borrowed a piece and put it in my long establised 55 reef about 8 months ago and now I have a ruined, completely infested system due to vermetid snail spores or whatever that managed to survive for months on the dried out base rock.....Is a bleach solution in a large tub with a power head or two the way to go? How long should I leave the rock in the bleach solution to be sure I've killed every last living spore? To be sure here, I'd rather pitch out hundreds of dollars worth of base rock than risk an infestation of this particular member of the vermetid snail family in my new set up.... I have to be 100% sure....

Muriatic Acid in a tub with water is my guess either that or bake the pieced in your oven for like an hour at a high temp like aroud 200-300 degrees.

Bleach overnight the rinse throughly, boil outside throughly & you wil have new cheaned rock that will re-establish very soon, it will be super white but that changes quickly.

muratic acid would dissolve the rock.

Not really. It will give the rock a quick surface cleaning. The carbonate will quickly neutraize the acid, making it ineffective as a acid. Then it just a poison. It does make quick work of the critters but then the rock needs to be bleached to get the surface color back. If it lives through that, well it deserves to stay.:)

Don

How do vermetid snails reproduce? I have a few as well but I try and bust them off when I can.

I would think baking or boiling would kill anything. I can't believe they survived that long.

But wait... what do you have against vermetid snails? Are they harmful? Sorry if it is a dumb question...

ever seen what salt does to a snail

Go to the grocery store buy a big bag of evaoperated sea salt,mix it into a bucket or in your case a trash can untill it literly wont disolve any more.This will provide you with a quick over night brine that will kill any thing on earth.This is how huge fisheries steralize nets and hoses,and other related items that would fall apart after to much bleach.

Back