Kill the zoos

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

DisturbedReefer

Lionless :(
I have some peach colored zoos that came in (hitchhiked) on my Montipora Dane. The Dane is looking great, however, the zoos are taking over slowly and are causing the Dane to recede...that is not going to work:evil:

Anyone have success eliminating pesky zoas?

You can try peeling them off. I've also heard of people mixing up kalkwasser and injecting it into Aiptasia to kill it. The same thing might work here.

I have some peach colored zoos that came in (hitchhiked) on my Montipora Dane. The Dane is looking great, however, the zoos are taking over slowly and are causing the Dane to recede...that is not going to work:evil:

Anyone have success eliminating pesky zoas?

This one's easy!

Give me the Monti!:badgrin::badgrin::badgrin:

You can try peeling them off. I've also heard of people mixing up kalkwasser and injecting it into Aiptasia to kill it. The same thing might work here.

I have used kalk on aiptasia with success, but I have tried it on palys before without much success...they came right back:doubt:

Peeling them off will not be an option, they are really infused in the rock.

Todd can you post a pic ?. Can you get them out with a Dremel tool. If you need help let me know. Good luck

As you requested...

DSC_7231Large.jpg

DSC_7230Large.jpg

I just went through this wih star polyps. I took the whole rock out and picked them all off till they were as gone as I could get them. then I made some very thick kalk past and spread a layer over the entier area that they were (keep in mind I did all this out of my tank in open air) then when I put it back in the tank the kalk paste stayed put and is still there a week later. I am sure they wont be coming back from this treatment...

Matt

Are you sure that's a Danae? It looks like either a Spongodes or Confusa. The danae usually has lots of bumps, not ridges.

I definitely vote m. confusa.

As for your zoa problem... if that rock can come out easily, your montipora will handle open air for a lot longer than you'd think. It may be worth the effort to scrape away the zoas with something like a razor. Don't forget to rinse it down (with tank water) before putting them back in the tank.

I definitely vote m. confusa.

As for your zoa problem... if that rock can come out easily, your montipora will handle open air for a lot longer than you'd think. It may be worth the effort to scrape away the zoas with something like a razor. Don't forget to rinse it down (with tank water) before putting them back in the tank.

So then what is this? I was under the impression this was a confusa...

DSC_0037-1.jpg

Im sure the monti can handle the open air, but that rock has about 15 corals on it, torts, stags, etc. :confused:

What ever it is it looks awesome. The first pics you posted I vote m. confusa. Man todd tank is looking great.

Last edited:
Back