***Killer Worm***

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

mattj206

I caught this !@#%! swimming around the tank like a sea snake. He got caught in some dendros and I was able to suck him out fast. I recognized his face...saw him take several large bites out of my hokesema acro (it had some food stuck to it). Looks to be 7 or 8 inches. Anyone know what it is or seen one this big???

DSC_0821.jpg

Holy $%!& that is a HUGE bristle worm NC2WA! And yes, it does hurt like a mofo when you get stung! Watch out!

I saw one in one of my tanks about a year ago about 7" long all grey. 5 years in this hobby I've never come across one that was all grey. I've found some blue and pink and once dipped a coral and out came two bright yellow bristles. Every now and then I think of it.. Probably should try a bristle worm trap or Something. Anyone else ever come across one that was large and grey?

Had and still have bigger ones than that...had a pic in old post...my big ones actually play nice but i had a teenager that got a taste for clams ....killing them
Suspending from rocks feeding from inside

I lost a beautiful maxima Clam shortly after seeing the bristle. Got it from someone who was selling it out of a tank that was completely covered in hair algae. Quarantined it with emerald crabs in a nano tank and was able to introduce it into a larger tank shortly after. Couldn't figure out why it died considering I target fed live food and water param was good. Wonder if the bristle worm had something to do with it. Never tried another clam after that.

I was also going to say it didn’t look like a bristle worm.

The descriptions of the Eunicid seems to describe it to the T.

If it is a bristle worm, it must be a different species because it is really skinny compared to the ones I typically see around here. Head and tail look different as well. Here is a picture I took of one a while back. :)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Could be a kind of pile worm. Seen similar on our beaches digging for clams & sand shrimp.

Back