Killing live rock!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Myteemouse

NOTHING
How long would a person have to "DRY OUT" a piece of live rock (after washing it with very hot water for 30 mins) to kill ALL the aptasia on it???

soak it in the tub for 30-40 mins in scalding hot water. That is how I killed a rock.... and the aptasia that was on it. If you have an old tooth brush, scrub it in every crack and crevice too.

Do not bleach.........

you could boil it,
you could just let it sit out side, for a few months,
is this a single rock or a lot of rock?

You could also put it in your oven and bake it for 30 minutes. Nothing will be alive after that. However, no matter how you kill it, with all the dead material on the rock, you're going to have to re-cure it before putting it back in your tank or you'll have ammonia problems from the decomposition of the dead material.

Well it's 55 lbs dry of rock!
And most is sitting out in a tub after boiling!
Gonnna let sit out for one more month then start to "SEED/CURE" it for the future tank!!

omg that must smell like..... like.... (bad word there)

the curing and cycling always has to be done,

I had good luck with aiptasia by pulling out the rock and frying em with a bic lighter for a couple seconds. Didn't hurt the rock because it was wet and absorbed the heat, but sure hurt the aiptasia.

Before I brought my tank home and converted from fish only, the maintenance guy used to bleach (soak) all the rock every two weeks, in a tall garbage can, then he would empty the water and use a neutralizing solution (don't remember what it was), the whole process took about an hour and removed all algae. did not seem to affect the bacteria or bioballs and he did that for 6 years.

The previous guy did it without neutralizing and killed 90% of my fish then tried to correct it by bringing me about 20 fish which caused the tank to bounce killing all of them... he was a real moron and made me not want a tank.. very sad days back then.

Last edited:
Back