Killing live rock

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

APch1ll3n

I know this have been talked about numerous of times. But here goes again.

I went out and bought approx 200 pounds of live rock. For 100 bucks I couldn't refuse the large pieces. But I dug myself a big hole. Upon emptying the tank of live rocks I was told the rocks been sitting in the tanks for about 8 month with no moving salt water. Green algae was everywhere and over ran the rocks. I am planning to kill (cook) the live rocks and start fresh. I have read a lot of forums on cooking, bleaching, etc.

What is the fastest way to kill everything on these rocks. I am wanting to start my tank in 2 weeks. Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

I would soak the rock in a bleach solution first. I think 1-2 cups of bleach per 5 gallons of water for atleast 24 hours. Inspect the rock after 24 hours to make sure all algae is removed. If not repeat.
Then soak the rock in a dechlorinator solution at 3-4 x recommended dose for another 24 hours.
Then do a muratic acid soak with 2 cups per 5 gallons for 1 hour. Any stronger and you will disolve the rock.
Rinse and let dry for a couple days.
The rock should be nice and very white.

I would soak the rock in a bleach solution first. I think 1-2 cups of bleach per 5 gallons of water for atleast 24 hours. Inspect the rock after 24 hours to make sure all algae is removed. If not repeat.
Then soak the rock in a dechlorinator solution at 3-4 x recommended dose for another 24 hours.
Then do a muratic acid soak with 2 cups per 5 gallons for 1 hour. Any stronger and you will disolve the rock.
Rinse and let dry for a couple days.
The rock should be nice and very white.

+1 what he said :D

Eric
Oceans by Design
1055 Andover Park E
Tukwila, WA 98188
206-575-5006

Do I use tap water or RODI water to soak? Does it matter?

1) When you say all algae removed do you mean by them falling off after the soak of personally removing the algae?
2) dechlorinator solution- Where would I find this solution? Barrier reef, Walmart, etc?
3) muratic acid- Where would I find this solution? Barrier reef, Walmart, etc?

Thank you for the help

I did mine in bleach water for 24 hrs,
rinsed
then let it soak in vinegar water for 2 days.
rinsed...
let it completly dry, untill you comfortable with it I suppose.

I rinsed again just to make sure,
then made up new salt water and seeded it in the buckets with the rock.
All my attempts have been pest free..
good luck!

I would use tap water.
Dechlorinator ( any product used for removing chlorine from water) can be bought at any pet store that sells aquarium products.
Muratic acid can be bought at most Home Depots/Lowes or hardware stores.
The bleach water should pretty much desolve algae.

The muratic acid soak is suppose to do something to remove phosphate that has been absorbed by the live rock.
I don't understand it, I can't prove it, I just have read it many times over the years.

I put a few pieces of Marco Rock in a muriatic acid solution a few months ago, it bubbled and fizzed like crazy. 24 hours later the rock was almost completely dissolved, it was lacey and brittle and crumbled in my hand. I obviously used to strong a solution, think i mixed it like 4 parts water to 1 part muriatic acid.. so word to the wise, be careful with muriatic acid.

I put a few pieces of Marco Rock in a muriatic acid solution a few months ago, it bubbled and fizzed like crazy. 24 hours later the rock was almost completely dissolved, it was lacey and brittle and crumbled in my hand. I obviously used to strong a solution, think i mixed it like 4 parts water to 1 part muriatic acid.. so word to the wise, be careful with muriatic acid.

I did this myself. Put a large piece that was covered in button polyps in a similar strong solution and left it overnight.
Next morning there was a large mass of partly melted button polyps and NO rock.

So that's why I said use a weak solution and only do it for a hour. Then rinse and rinse.

Use rubber gloves and safety glasses

Is the muratic acid or the dichlorine a requirement? Or can I soak in bleach than in vinegar sufficient?

Last edited:
If you use bleach, then the dechlorinator is a requirement.
Muratic acid is only a suggestion.
If you are taking the pains to do one, why not the other?

It's something you do to save you from headaches down the road.

I cannot argue on your comment in no way. So all steps is a must understand. Do appreciate all the comments.

Last edited:
I started the bleach process. Think I will leave it in there for 48hrs. After that I will remove, clean and rebleach if necessary. (Hope not) than vinegar bath for another 48 hrs. Thanks peeps

Advise:
I have done the bleach, dechlorintor, muratic acid. And has been drying for 2nd day in the nice 2 day of sunlight we had.

Question: I still have same algae on the rocks.
1) Will they come back to life if I start cycling my tank?
2) if I leave the algae in there will snails or any critter; can they clean it up for me?
3) can I put snails, crabs, etc in there while tank cycling?

I had 1/2 gallon of bleach in like 30 gallon for 2 days. It's not algae more of a weed or roots on the rock. They are all white in color now

Back