Killing live rock

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Sounds like a turf type algae or just some nasty bryopsis. The bleach solution usually removes everything when I've done the procedure.

I would get a new wire brush from Home Depot or Lowes ( any hardware store) and use it to remove whats left.
Don't think it will come back to life, but I would'nt want to add it to the tank.
Then just a good rinse in freshwater.

I just looked at a batch of dry rock I have that I bleached out a year or so ago and it has a few white hair-like algae on it, but not much.
So I guess some would still hang on.

There is no critters out there that will eat it? Peppermint shrimp, emarald crab, snails, ???? Should I add critters to cycle a tank?

image.jpgHere is a pic

That doesn't look too bad.
Is there alot more on other rocks?

If not I'd just try and pull off what you can by hand.

After bleach, acid and being dried, I don't see how it could possibly come back to life.

Its on almost every rock. If it comes back alive with the proper water would it die? Would a tang eat it or any critters?

Its on almost every rock. If it comes back alive with the proper water would it die? Would a tang eat it or any critters?

I'm pretty sure nothing is going to eat it and I don't think it could possibly come back to life.
I also think that the bleach and acid have stripped all the nutients out of it so if there is any decompostion, that it would be minimal.
Like I suggested, brush, pull off by hand, get as much off as possible.

Thank Mfinn for all the help. Do appreciate it

Your welcome.
I'm hoping someone else will jump in and relate their own experinces doing the bleach thing with live/dead rock.

I've always had the benefit of having a large running sump I can load up with new rock to get it going with bacteria.
Hopefully we can get more people to come up with their ideas for you.

I realize I'm late to this thread...but I would have suggested the muriatic acid at 1/10 ratio tapwater for 20 min to and hour depending on the type of rock. much more effective at disolving organics. you would still want to brush some stuff off though.

I realize I'm late to this thread...but I would have suggested the muriatic acid at 1/10 ratio tapwater for 20 min to and hour depending on the type of rock. much more effective at disolving organics. you would still want to brush some stuff off though.

IMO, muratic acid doesn't disolve organics as well as others.

I disolved a big rock, and was left with a mass of button polyps that didn't disolve.
IDK, I just know I lost a very nice large chunk of rock from too much acid.

Back