Kole Tang with growth

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Hi Lee,

Well, my lack of QT, on this particular fish, has bit me in the behind. This is a tiny Kole Tang, (when I say tiny, I'm talking barely over an inch, total length), that we've had for about 3 weeks now. It's very active, swimming very normal and eating very well.

In the past couple of days, I've noticed a growth on it's side. Inspecting the growth, I am finding much smaller ones, on the other side and near the dorsal fin. The growth appear to be white, have a bumpy appearance. Could also be described as bubbles, I suppose. Unfortunately, due to curved glass, it's difficult to get a good photo of this guy. I am going to set up a QT tank, and await your advice. I'm guessing it's a fungal infection, bacterial infection or possibly Lymphocystis, which I really hope it isn't.

Once in a QT tank, with flat glass, I'll be able to get better pictures, I hope.

What would be your best advice as far as medicating this guy?

5813898336_3ff8a98f34_b.jpg

5813329597_405a216a00_b.jpg

5813331083_3bbd2aacc9_b.jpg

Thank you for such a quick response. So, since this lil' guy appears to be eating very well, actively swimming and otherwise healthy, from the info you provided, it seems QT is not necessary, at this point. It also sounds like I need to increase water quality and quality of food!

As for the use of a disinfectant, such as Iodine or Betadine, you mention that the fish would need to be anesthetizing. Can I ask why? I was under the impression that fish could be swabbed, with Iodine/Betadine, using a Qtip, and have actually done so, on a wounded fish, wounded from fighting. Was this a bad thing for me to do? I had actually considered catching the fish and applying Lugols Iodine, with a Qtip. I guess I won't be doing that, at least not until after hearing back from you.

To make sure I understand, you recommend using Maracyn 2, for Marine fish, ONLY if the fish is showing other signs, beyond a few lumps, as mine is showing and/or If the lumps appear to spread, or secondary infection appears? What would I be on the look out for, as far as looking for secondary infection?

Good questions all! :)

If I miss one or more of them, please just ask again:
1. The catching of any ornamental fish should be just a fast action with a minimum of stress. Handling the fish with a bare hand is an absolute no-no. Using an anesthetic calms the fish so that it will not be further stressed or panic (and possibly cause an injury). Remember, stress is the reason this condition has shown itself. The anesthetized fish is then handled with sterile surgical gloved hands to lift it out of the water. The removal from water is the big stressor and a 'sleeping' fish should only be thus handled. When dealing with ornamental fishes, top quality handling is always recommended, which means a professional approach.

2. The secondary infection would include symptoms such as cloudy eye, skin discoloration, frayed fins, stops eating, or any combo of these.

Great answers and information!!

The only one I'm still unsure about is the use of the Marcyn 2. I assume I won't use it, at all, unless I seen signs of secondary infection?

For now, it appears the best option is to take a "wait and see" approach, while observing for any increase in symptoms and increasing water/food quality.

Correct on both. The use of Maracyn Two for Saltwater fishes would require moving the fish to quarantine. So if you do move the fish there for any of the given reasons, go ahead and treat with the Maracyn Two.

Work hard and diligently to remove stress from the fish and improve both water quality and nutrition. Watch closely for signs of improvement or for the condition getting worse. Re-read the post on Lymph as often as you need to in order to grasp the details.

:)

Back