kpiotrowski's 300DD

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Great looking build so far. Did Jesse throw that SWC cone skimmer in on the deal? I hope he threw it in since he only paid $20 for it. NO, I'm not exaggerating ;) (JK Jesse, if your ever read this. I wouldn't give it away either if I had won it for $20 in a raffle.)

You know whats awesome about that rust kevin.... is the rust stripes it left on my floor LOL
I just told the wife we gotta get the new tank faster so we can cover it up! The stand looks like
its coming along nicely.

Great looking build so far. Did Jesse throw that SWC cone skimmer in on the deal? I hope he threw it in since he only paid $20 for it. NO, I'm not exaggerating ;) (JK Jesse, if your ever read this. I wouldn't give it away either if I had won it for $20 in a raffle.)

Jess had an asking price and told me what he was including. I paid him the money and took all the stuff home. actually I have 3 items that were won the the BM frag swap, the swc, a reeflow 2500, and I just won a rodi system. It is officially a lucky tank!

Got the tank in the house the other day. thanks to dave, mike, matt, and todd! It may be only 300g but its not exactly light! today dave came over and went to town on the wood cutting end of the deal. I have learned to just step back and let the master work and just be the go-fer..even though its MY tank. perhaps I can repay the favor when it comes time for him to glue all his plumbing. Dave will be doing all the cabinettry and am very happy he has agreed to! Note the bar stool. thats the plan!

The plywood was cut to size and squared, notched into the wall and holes were made for the closed loop return lines drilled in the bottom of the tank. I plan to run an oceans motions 4-way ( google it) on a Reeflow barracuda with two 1.5 inch supply lines on the back wall as seen in the pics, and six 1 inch returns in the bottom ( 3 front and 3 back).

The tank is still on dollies and so will eventually sit about six inches lower as depicted by the blue tape wich represents where the top of the tank will be. The tv will either be on a lazy-susan type swivel or a slide rail to allow for access to the side of the tank. and will also get the cabinett treatment from Dave. (I used what I could to raise the tv up to show the wife what it will look like for now...gotta get her approval too ya know!)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

closed loop bulkhead hole view from underneath.

Closed loop supply lines on back wall and return lines in bottom.

Last edited:
I learned that about Dave as well Kevin. You think you are going to work with him on a project but really you do a lot of watching, holding and go-fer-ing than working with him. He is one master of wood and it's best to just stand back and let him master it. Your stand came out pretty nice for how rough it looked in the first pics. Keep the pics coming.

Ya the old times at work r like that. Sit back and watch and try and learn!
Man i sure wish dave re did all my furniture! Lol
Sweet teaser pics btw! Hehe get er wet will ya...
Really though. Sweet tank ur gonna have there kriptrowski

PLEASE guys stop already!!!
I need to go to the garage and have a cig. And after reading your posts, I can fit my head thru the door!!! I had to go on the back deck. (It has double doors)

Thanks guys, Its not rocket science.

Kevin,
Is the blue tape line located where you need to cut the tank down to so you are under the 300 gal size? Outside dimensions of course.

That tank is a monster! Thanks for letting me get a peek at the project. Not only is it big but after seeing your other tanks I know it's gonna be set up right. That wave master works great and gives a nice flow to the tank:)

Dude... before I "get it wet" I want to put the bulkeheads in first,lol.

Dave, cut the top the tank off? nice then I'll have my look-down tank.

Paul, glad that wave master is working for you, and thanks for the compliment!

nice looking tank. cant wait to see it up and running. it takes alot of time and money. as all of us know how hard it is to go slow when setting up a dream tank. took me months to set up my 360 gallon. even tho i wanted set up the first week.

thanks, yep as you can see there is no updates due to system planning. I am in no rush and at the same time if it all comes together in the next month then fine...but I'm prob looking at 3-6 months. am currnetly taking a bit of a break and giving my other tanks some overdue attention and then planning flow and rockscape whick kinda go hand in hand.

and got one of these in the mail last week too!!! Oceans Motions

Well you get what you plan for some times..lol It does take time and money and even more time and money if you do alot of DIY's. The 30% research and 70% daydreaming is a big part of a large build and a part i enjoy. We are lucky here at RF with so many high quality DIYer's to not only share our monsters with but to learn from other members monsters:)
That Ocean Motion will be a nice addition with your flow and like the other's enjoy your sharing!

Looks like yours is going along great too! I also have a patience problem and want it up and running NOW! lol In reality mine is probably another 3-4 weeks out before it gets water in it. I love the ocean motions on my 120, decided against it on the new tank, trying to keep plumbing to a minimum. Another though that i do on all my tanks. What i call a quick drain, basically a bulkhead at the bottom of your tank with a gate valve on it. You can use this to drain the water out of your tank, or do a quick water change. Works awesome no hauling buckets :)

cool idea on the quick drain. i'm gonna have a 2 in valve on my sump. hav'nt hauled any bucket in 13 years, my current system has a garden hose connector and valve on the return pump but I don't change much water and when I do I like to clean up the sand a bit with a siphon hose.

i do the same thing. i have a bulkhead in my sump with a ball valve. when i want to do a water change i just hook up a graden hose and turn the ball valve. drain my sump and refill. i hate the 5 gallon bucket thing. now with my 360 gallon tank. doing the 5 gallon bucket at a time would take forever to do a water change.

Someone told me today you have rocks in your head!

or was it... rocks on your mind?

Something about ROCK.

What's the skinny??

ok,ok....this is what 200lbs of BRS Reef Saver rock looks like. along with the 300lbs currently living in my two reef tanks I should be good to go as far as rock.

the stand underneath is 6x2

Back