kpiotrowski's 300DD

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Hey DONNY lets see some close ups of those monster flow makers.......tried to sneak them by us with all this ocean motion stuff:) jk Kirk, Dave, Spider Man

Wait...I thought everyone on this board was named Dave.

Anyway...the tank is looking great!

Thanks! I am starting it get impatient...and excited.

here is some updates.

this is the basic sump layout.

cut a hole in the wall for the chiller.

capped it of with a vent...also note the pvc drain line for turn-of-a-valve water changes. top pic shows the valve on the inside.

3 days of work looks like this lol. By the weekend I will have some better pics and the real rundown on how everything is set up. like, dual large skimmers and 4 uv sterilezers that are gravity fed with the hopes of having ALL flow go through the uv's at 400gph for each of the 4 units.

Last edited:
Kevin, looks good...to help me better picture this, can u tell me if the wall is going to be cut on the house for viewing OR is this garage only viewing?

Kevin, I didn't miss that...just wonder if you setup is going to be like mine?

sorry, my bad. I thought you would refering to the hole in the wall for the chiller. I couldn't understand until you asked if it was going to be like yours ( assuming you mean tank in the gargage and viewing panel in house). The tank is located inside the house. there are pics of it on previous pages.

11 days have passed.
I find it really hard to believe that there hasnt been anything done on your build that we shouldnt be aware of.

Come on man we people want to see that sump running water thru it. Pllllllleeeeeeeeaaasssssse

11 days have passed.
I find it really hard to believe that there hasnt been anything done on your build that we shouldnt be aware of.

Come on man we people want to see that sump running water thru it. Pllllllleeeeeeeeaaasssssse[/QUO

omg give me a break!

yes I got to clean up a bit and take some pics and post them. soon!

ok, so. 2 weeks ago I took the chance and added 3 banner fish to my 120g.....11 days later all 27 fish full of ich. soooo, that tank had to be torn part and fish put in to hospital. only lost one of the banners so far and rest look well so I am hopefull I will be able to add the rest to the 300g once they are healthy.

I have been runnin ragged and have put all my spare time into getting the 300 going. the wife is home after being gone since wednesday so I need to go spend some time with her. so for now here is a pic of the fish room/wall thus far. lots of work to do and I will get into detail eventually. sorry!

Last edited:
OMG!!
This looks like an extremely complicated sump/filtration system.
How many miles of flexpipe did you run?

so Now I will try to go into some detail with what I have done thus far.

starting at the wall where the display tank plumbing comes through to the garage, and starting from the bottom up, is a reeflow Barracuda. I used inch and a half trueUnion ball valves for both the supply and return sides on the Barracuda. the Barracuda is plumbed with 2 inch pipe in, and inch and a half out. note the 2 inch ball valve that will only function as an emergency drain and was used during testing.(the one with the red handle).

next up is an oceans motions 4-way.since I have the luxury of practically unlimited space I wanted to limit all those 90 degree angles and sharp flow-restricting turns, so I went with flex pipe to get as much out of my pump is possible.( and it works real well!)

At the wall, starting from the bottom the first pipe you see is the two inch supply to the Barracuda. all pipes are connected at the wall by Unions so that in the event I have to replace my furnace I will have ease of assembly and reassembly. the next 4 pipes are for the ocean motions and the top 5 are two, 1 inch returns that are supplied by a inch and a half pipe from a iwaki md100rlt (2000 gph high pressure). the top three pipes are a one inch full siphon drain, a inch and a half tuned siphon drain, and a inch and a half emergency.

all pipes are functionally supported at this time, but there is lots of room for improvement the future.

following along as the pipes wrap around the furnace and continue's on to primary sump and looking from the bottom up, the first pipe attached to the sump is a one inch full syphon, the second one up is the emergency and, the third one is a inch an half tuned drain as you can see the gate valve. The top inch and a half pipe with the red and black ball valves is the return that comes from the a iwaki. The purpose of these two valves was during testing I was cycled water through the two conjoined sumps, but if I was to ever spring a leak in the display tank I could simply shut off the red valve, and open the black valve, and now I would be circulating everything through the sumps allowing me to place all livestock in the sumps if need be.

where the boxes of salt mix are will be a 55 gallon barrel of rodi for auto top off, and on the top shelf above it will set my rodi system.

the primary sump is approximately 120 gallons and begins with a 7-inch filtersock compartment. After the first baffle I installed a probe holder for ph,temp,orp, and conductivity. this sump houses my skimmers and UV sterilzers. The skimmers are a super reef octopus 5000 external skimmer and a SWC extreme 250. it also houses four 18w gravity-fed ultraviolet sterilizer(why use pumps when you don't have to, right!)

here is how it went down.

full sump shot.

Back