kpiotrowski's 300DD

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

the primary sump is conjoined with the secondary sump via one 2 inch full siphon pipe, two 1 inch "trickle"pipes, and a 1/14 emergency. I used compression fittings and purposely left the pipes considerably shorter inside the couplers so that in the event of a minor earthquake there is some wiggle room between the two sumps. I figured why not!

like so.

the secondary sump is also approximately 120 gallons, although it looks bigger! The first compartment as the water comes from the primary sump will house macros and hopefully funtion to remove micro-bubbles. this sump is two compartments seperated by 3 baffles. In the baffel area will be a perfect spot for frags where the will get plenty of flow.

the 2nd compartment houses my heaters, 2x300w and 1x800w. the return pump, an iwaki MD100rlt, and a mag7 for the chiller which will vent to the outside. I also installed an 1.5 inch valve hooked directly to the drain outside for quick water changes.

for electric I installed 2 seperate 20amp GFIC's in one box in a central location. I will plug into these with the neptune apex outlets. I purposely ran the electics above the shelf to help keep it all dry and clean. I drilled holes and intalled plastic sleeves ( gray circle things sticking up on top shelf towards the back) for cords to come up through the shelf

will also run this single 15amp line seen below...just because it was alread there before the build.

Last edited:
I have been cycling about 5 gallons of rubble for a few months in a rubbermade with a power head and a heater set to 80dg to speed up the cylcle. now that I am happy with how my new tank is running I added the rubble to the sump tonight to seed the new tank.

You got to love a good hard cycle! look at those nitrates!!! and still have ammonia. This means to me that this rock is teaming with bacteria. oh, and btw....that rubbermade in the garage came in handy when I needed a bathroom break.

yep, I ammonia cylced that rock! no moldy, fungus infested, rotting shrimp here! just pure urine! ( and a little fish food)

....that rubbermade in the garage came in handy when I needed a bathroom break.

yep, I ammonia cylced that rock! no moldy, fungus infested, rotting shrimp here! just pure urine! ]

So, when your freind got upset and said "Piss on it!" you took it literally. That is just an expression you know.
Looks like a nice complicated system only a true reefer will ever understand.

What happen to building with the kiss system...........ahahahahahhahhahhahh I would say looking great(cause it does) but I don't know what I am looking at:) Is that a 40 gallon breeder build with a Hagan 805 powerhead:boink:

What happen to building with the kiss system...........ahahahahahhahhahhahh I would say looking great(cause it does) but I don't know what I am looking at:) Is that a 40 gallon breeder build with a Hagan 805 powerhead:boink:

someday I will have done it all like you and have to paint everything all nice and fancy to be satisfied. This being my first big build....I've got my hands full! lol.

My favorite part of this build is its simplicity, .....

When you think about it....after all the hundreds of hours spent thinking about it lol, in the end it REALLY is pretty simple. a bunch of in's and out's, up and downs, and this first and that second. As I see it all come together I can't belive it took me this long to come up with what in the end, really isn't that complex and already think I should have done better.

When you think about it....after all the hundreds of hours spent thinking about it lol, in the end it REALLY is pretty simple. a bunch of in's and out's, up and downs, and this first and that second. As I see it all come together I can't belive it took me this long to come up with what in the end, really isn't that complex and already think I should have done better.

Thats funny. Not complex to you. I'm sure that your average reefer couldn't walk up to your system and trouble shoot problems or even tank sit and feel comfortable about it if something went wrong. My system is the same way and is more simple this time around than the last time I had it running. Newbs come over and are overwhelmed by the sheer volume of water. No matter how they are set up. "built ins" are complex.

"built ins" are complex

clean and simple. :D

521371528_93f4b2dc83.jpg

Last edited:
I would go CRAZY trying to fit all the stuff under a tank. gotta Love my wife for giving me a whole garage wall for equiptment and processing! She actualy gave me the ok for not only a 200g penninsula that will replace the 120p on the half-wall ( bought from peppie), but also a 40x30x80 cubby I can build whatever I want in. Those will probably freshwater though. I'm thinkin a aquaponics build in the cubby and the 200g wich is a 49x39x24 has an open middle, so that may get a mountain/waterfall/tree trunk treatment rising up out of the tank. but enough talk about freshwater....I don't want to get banned! lol.

Yeah, enough of the freshwater talk, what about the current tank, you have anything in it yet? Pics man pics. :)

! Is that water I see? Sw?
Good job kevin I like ur style.
Lol
Looks great with the sand. More rock scaping to do?
Wish my gf was more so like ur wife. Wait that dosent sound right. Lol
Did the flow turn out as good as u would like? Im sure its sweet...specially with some pumps and random return or rotating or watev.
Again looks good.
D

! Is that water I see? Sw?
Good job kevin I like ur style.
Lol
Looks great with the sand. More rock scaping to do?
Wish my gf was more so like ur wife. Wait that dosent sound right. Lol
Did the flow turn out as good as u would like? Im sure its sweet...specially with some pumps and random return or rotating or watev.

D

won't know for sure on the flow until I get coral in various places, but so far its promising. no more rock scape for now, want to see how the fish react with all that room...and it will be flow restricting
thanks!

I really like that hanging basket coral in the upper left hand corner of the tank. IMO a real low island in the middle of that huge sand bed would be awesome for LPS. But I'm a coral junkie and always want more real estate to mount frags.

Back