Large RBTA taking over tank.

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Reefbound

I have a large RBTA in my 75 thats growing and growing but not splitting...The disc is about 10 inches across and the foot is buried about 7 or 8 inches into a creavous of a rock. I have been wanting to frag the Rose but Im not sure what I need and where to start. Can someone give some pointers?

Ps... This is the rose that went into the Seio 1100 and survived.

Last edited:
I have had the exact same problem as you. I had to take the rock that the foot was attached to out of the tank and carefully remove the foot from the crevice of the rock. This can be very difficult especially if the foot is deep in the crevice. I have used a pair of tweezers to start removing the foot then using the blunt end of the tweezers to continue working the foot free. If you can use your finger as you have less of a chance of damaging the foot.

Have a small bucket of water ready of water that the anemone came from, or better yet a Qt tank with mature tank water waiting. Once the anemone is removed place it on a clean surface such as a plastic butcher block. Cut the anemone down the center through the mouth. Do not use scissors since it's more of a crushing motion rather than a direct slice.
Once you have both halves place them into your bucket or Qt tank with plenty of water movement or airstones. Preferably not powerheads unless you have the inlets covered. You will quickly see the reason for keeping the anemones in a seperate bucket as they will start to slime quite profusely. Leave them in your Qt as long as possible or if you can until they start to heal, which doesn't take too long. A week or so.
If you can't leave them in qt keep them in a bucket until they stop sliming and place them back in the tank. Be careful when you do this because fish or especially fireworms will attack the healing anemones. If you take care to keep the water clean you should end up with 2 healthy anemones and you can always sell one. :).

Good luck

Have you tried a large water change? It will sometimes prompt them to split on their own.

You absolutely can "frag" an anemone. For a critter this large use a sharp filet knife, place it foot side down on a cutting board, and slice right through the mouth, all the way across, and then put both halves back in the tank. The only trick to it is trying to make one clean cut instead of a lot of little cuts. The cleaner the wound, the easier it is for the animal to heal and the less likely an opportunistic infection will occur.

Christine

Have you tried a large water change? It will sometimes prompt them to split on their own.

I actually did, more than 60% because my son sprayed window cleaner in there while trying to "help" daddy... I also tried the overfeeding because I read that could start a split.

this rose is getting outragous in size, I really didnt think I would get this big so fast. When it went though the seio i thought for sure it would split and I even thought at one point it was but it healed up completly in a month and now Im have this huge well fed rose.

Couple of things here....
BTuck has in fact "fragged" an anemone. Follow his advice.
Not all BTA's will split...you may be one of the lucky ones who has one that doesnt.
Many people feel that BTA's splitting is a good thing. In all honesty, its usually not. BTA's will split in response to stress. Its their way of attempting to keep some part of themselves alive.
Do NOT place a recently cut anemone back into the display tank. The anemone will slime profusely...in some anemone's this slime has nuked entire tanks...with the exception of clownfish. No scientific studies to back this theory up, but its a strong indicator that there may be some cnidoblasts released in the slime...not good for other critters in the tank....all critters, not just fish.

If the anemone is growing too large for your tank, stop feeding it so heavily and frequently.

Nick

If the anemone is growing too large for your tank, stop feeding it so heavily and frequently.

Nick

I have already cut waaaaay back on feedings...:lol: I was hoping it would split so I could try and put one on the other side of the tank... If it does continue to grow Im going to have to trade it for something smaller... :lol:

Anyone one have a small rose they want to trade?... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Last edited:
I have a small one to trade but I live in Indianapolis and not sure if you want to ship that far.

:) Yes, Maxx is right--I mistyped. If you are going to cut the anemone, back into the display immediately isn't ideal. Best bet is to have a separate bucket with water from the display (good time for a water change--take out a few gallons for your bucket and replace with new seawater). Cut the anemone, place in the bucket for an hour or so, then back intot he display. Even if nematocysts are not released, the mucus expelled by the cut anemone is a bioburden your tank doesn't need.

and for anyone that cares to click their way to enlightenment, the archives are rich with photos and examples of anemone propagation. Most folks know that we (the hobby) have been fragging (bilateral cuts) for many years (ahhh... over a decade in fact). The IMAC and MACNA videos that we (Eric, myself, others) have done each year are an inexpensive tutorial (the host clubs sell these videos)

Please make the effort to look into my sticky atop this forum called "fav links" and you will see a post entry for "discussions" that has an alphabetical list of most anything you can imagine. Anemone propagation is an entry and it is loaded with examples.

The disc is about 10 inches across

They do get huge, I think mine was a good 14". I never got mine to split on it's own. I ended up cutting it. I used a sharp knife and cut it in half, while still on the rock and outside the tank. I put it in a bucket for a few hours, then back to the tank. It took a couple weeks for the anemone to heal and actually move apart. Shortly after that, they split again on their own. I ended up with 4 anemones. They all recovered and I sold/traded the larger three.

tank.jpg

A year later the small one grow into another monster. It recently spilt on it's own, I am very happy about that.

Back