large skimmer suggestions?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

allenho1

Hi all. I have a question. I am currently using an Octopus RPS3000 Recirculating Skimmer rated for up to 400 gallons in my 300-gallon FOWLR, which currently has several tangs in the 5.5" - 6" range (1 yellow, 2 hippos, 1 PBT) and a 6"+ Emperor angel. I am also using a Fluval FX5 canister to remove particulates, and an ozone generator to de-colorize the water.

I'm thinking that if I use a larger skimmer I should be able to do without the canister, and perhaps also the ozone generator. Does this sound right? If so, what would you recommend for a larger skimmer? I am particularly looking for the experience of folks who have kept larger tanks. Thanks in advance.

Tell us a little more about the tank..... overflow?...liverock?...sump?...

I use a 30-gallon Rubbermaid for the sump. Since I didn't want to drill the tank, I have an over-the-back overflow.

Not a whole lot of live rock yet, perhaps 60-75 lbs so far.

I would put a sock on the overflow outlet and then i think you're good dumping the canister, the sock will pull out a lot of the particulates as long as you have good flow in the tank...maybe run a little carbon in the sump, although there is a lot of talk about carbon being bad for marine fish. Getting live rock upto around 100 pounds wouldn't hurt either.

Thanks for the suggestion. Not sure why I overlooked socks but it sure would be easier to manage than the Fluval.

Curious why more live rock would help. I assume they help with nitrate removal, but that should not be an issue for a fish-only?

Thanks for the suggestion. Not sure why I overlooked socks but it sure would be easier to manage than the Fluval.

Curious why more live rock would help. I assume they help with nitrate removal, but that should not be an issue for a fish-only?

Would help with ammonia and nitrite removal...water changes and skimmer will do the nitrates. would get 2-4 socks to make it easier on you to change out. I wash my dirty socks (well actually my dirty socks my wife washes!) in the washing machine with no soap and let them air dry before using again, we use organic washing powder for our clothes so there isn't any phosphates like thhere is is in most soaps. That is something to be aware of cuz increase phosphates will increase algae growth.

Good suggestion about washing the socks. I would have just wrung out the socks in running water, but I'm sure that a washing machine would do a much better job.

Very important to keep them clean or they do more harm then good. Find a good way of cleaning them like tricksterya has and you will be fine.

Back