large tank setup, need some input

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

peddy10181

i picked up a new tank. well more like me and 5 of my friends picked it up lol.
its 96inch long. 36inch wide, 32inch about 450gallons? 2X2 4X4 stand ,the stand was so big i had to take it part it get it in the door lol.

well i rent a older manufactured house, trailer. call it what you want. it has steel I beams the run left to right, not front to back. i looked under the house to find out. i know for sure i want to go across the beams.

1ST question. for added support under the house how many supports should i use and what kind? can it be as easy as using a brick and 4X4? maybe 6 in all? or should i go with bricks all the way up? its 2FT from the ground to the beams give or take. just dirt under the house its been here for 20 years or so.

2ND so after i know its safe i will slowly start to set this tank up. i want to put it right where my 180 gallon is. BUT what does one do with a stingray for a week or 2 during the take down of the old tank. and setup of the new one?

3RD this tank will be fish with live rock. maybe corals. but i hear my stingray will eat them, but not sure. the sump i got with the tank is
44L 22H 18W, with out 1/3rd of the tank having bio balls. 2/3rds of it is open has a sump in it, looks way to small for the tank but no clue.

any input is good input, please help me out.

Last edited:
I'm not real familiar with manufactured homes, how is the floor joined to the I beams? I would think about building or modifying the the stand so it just sits on the I beams.

As for support, with that much weight, I would think about pouring some cement under there for some adjustable screw jacks. At least something like overglorified post holes deep enough that they cant shift.

And I'd just use the old 180 for a sump, but I'm a fan of going big...

I'm just doing the rough math in my head, but I put the tank at about 475 gallons.

Last edited:
so i was under the house today, did a little looking. there are steel beems runing down the house about 8 feet apart. i would like to make up some floor supports that look some thing like this. i would put 2 of these setups in about 2 feet apart right under the tank. with the steel beems on each end of my supports. these 4X4 would come right up to the floor. looking for any input or help i can get. 475gallon tank + 2 60 gallon sumps. i dont want it to going any where. thankz patrick

suport.jpg

Last edited:
I had a friend fill a water bed in his trailer & the room bent, the entire back half had to be jacked up & supported, so you better do as planned, lots of weight to deal with.

eh it did not work out like i wanted it to. i ended up going with 4 4FT setups that will run under the tank every 2 feet holding the floor beems. i hope this works out.

there was a guy who did not support the tank and stated there was steal beams his tank was only 210g and the floor cracked. so be careful seeing that you are renting. seams like a lot of work. if you dont have renters insurance now is the time to get it

ya i had my 180 setup in the same place for 6+ months befor i got this new tank. but i wanted to be sure its not going any where. soon as i can get my friends to come over and help me pick the tank up and stick it on the stand ill be filling it with tap watter to make sure theres no leaks.

What would you do to support the floor?? I went with supports every 2 feet running front to back of the tank. With 4x4s holding up 3 floor beams. The center one is a load bearing wall that the tank is on. In the house I put a 5/8th sheet of plywood to help spread the weight out all over.

Any input to help this be a safe setup would be nice. Thank you Patrick

Back