lawn mower blenny question

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

keener1830

lawnmower
Does anyone know how lawnmower blennys reproduce. I think I may have a pregent one or just a fish that keeps gettting fatter and fatter. Any info would be great on this subject. I will try to post pics later when I get a clear shot of the blenny while it is cleaing the tank. Thanks
David

David - look forward to any pics you can post. I have a book that says blennies are Livebearers and demersal spawners (provide some type of parental care, such as nest prep or mouth-brooding). How long have you had the blenny? Does the blenny have a large food source in the tank?

I have a pair of lawnmower blennies that breed regularly.
Lawnmowers (as well as Starry Blennies; they breed regularly here too) are egg layers.
The male guards the eggs and cares for them.
The fry are extremely tiny, smaller than rotifers, and I haven't had any luck getting them past day 4 yet.

Vicki

Vicki - that is so awesome! I have learned a big challenge in captive rearing some fish species is due to rotifers being too large for the fry to eat. How often do yours breed?

Both pairs of blennies breed about every third week. They usually pick a rock which is very difficult to remove from the tank, so I don't get to try every time they 'do it'. :cry:

Here's some shots of my lawnmower male, the eggs, and the babies.

Vicki

That is so awesome! This might be a really dumb question, but did you know you had a male and female when introduced the blennies, or was it a nice surprise when you saw the eggs the first time.

It was a complete surprise to end up with two pair of blennies. I didn't have a clue, and to this date, you'd never know they were pairs. Neither pair get along at all with their mate, EXCEPT on the day they lay eggs. They chase eachother around the tank like they're trying to kill eachother. Of course, they don't though, it's just a chase. My tank is 360 gallons so there is plenty of room for them all.

Vicki, thata really cool ! Your male has some pretty coloring.
The pic of the eggs...thats A LOT of blenny babies ! Lots of eyes peering up at you. lol

WAFalconer said:
Vicki, thata really cool ! Your male has some pretty coloring.
The pic of the eggs...thats A LOT of blenny babies ! Lots of eyes peering up at you. lol

Thanks Shilo. He really is a pretty fish. So much personality too.
If only I could figure out what to feed the tiny babies. I'm trying to learn about phyto and rotifers, but just tore down my setup today (which was only running water) to make more room under my tank.

When are you moving up here? There's LOTS of us in the Puyallup and Tacoma area. Do you know where you're moving to yet? Looking forward to meeting you!

Vicki

Vicki, We aren't 100% sure, but it has to be close to McChord. Hubby waants Tacoma because its closer, I want Olympia (outskirts) as its not so up in the middle of everything. lol We'll likely try find a cheap short term rental so I can get up there and then start looking around for something more permanent together (he is up there at the moment doing training.)

I CAN'T WAIT to leave CA.....temps were 88 yesterday ! Its killing me ! lol

Back