Leaking Bulkheads.

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

tighten them down. Take some 60 grit sand paper and grab the ring then twist. I found that helps a ton. My BH's were leaking pretty good at first.

Also, if you tightened them with a wrench its possible you overtightened and the washer is pinched. If tightening doesn't work then try loosening a tiny bit. If that doesn't work check to make sure there is nothing (grit, crushed coral etc) between the washer and the glass that would prevent a good seal.

Make sure you have the gasket on the outside of the glass and the threaded neck on the inside. If you have the gasket on the threaded side water will work out through the threads

The easiest way to fix them is run some teflon tape around the threads. You can pick the stuff up at wal-mart and will be the end all be all of your leaks. Make sure you start the tape clockwise if not when you screw the bulkhead togather it will peel right off.

Also, if you tightened them with a wrench its possible you overtightened and the washer is pinched. If tightening doesn't work then try loosening a tiny bit. If that doesn't work check to make sure there is nothing (grit, crushed coral etc) between the washer and the glass that would prevent a good seal.

X-2, couldn't have said it any better.

I have a couple og bulkheads that are breand new that have a slow leak. How do I fix this? They are 1 inchers used on glass aquariums. Any help out there?

Servicing or replacing installed bulkheads can be a pain and require draining allot of water.

Where are your bulkheads located? Are they quite a bit below water level?

g

i usually run a small bead of silicone when installing new BH. never had a leak this way. also I try to use the sched 80 BH not the cheapo ones. over tightening is probably the issue.

I got a tiny tiny leak on my 1.5" sch80 BH. It is so small I think I am just going to let the salt seal it. I'm tired of messing with it especially since it is the last leak on the 180...

I got a tiny tiny leak on my 1.5" sch80 BH. It is so small I think I am just going to let the salt seal it. I'm tired of messing with it especially since it is the last leak on the 180...

A simple fix I use on just about every fitting I have on my hose/gasket plumbing is running a bead of petroleum jelly on it... It's amazing how well that stuff seals, and its safe :)

Back