learned lesson

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

spongebob lover

flea whisperer
well i think at this point i'm just gonna call it a lesson learned doods :p.
for the past 2 months i haven't take good care of my fish tank :oops:, i let the tank down and myself down BUT i will kick butt once again :p.
my grape caulerpa is taking over the tank once again (piece of #$%$^%#% :mad: *pulling hairs out :shock::rolleyes:) after all this years, it just took a little branch for it to go back and it's all over ... well i got an emerald crab from Barrier Reef and so it seems to be doing its job which is good hehe.
but now just when i thought it was all.... no !! i got flatworms AGAIN !!! (mother #$^#^&$, pieces of #$^$ :p :lol: :rolleyes:)aahh i guess they weren't gone after about a year of free flatworms (or at least i thought hehe):p...ohh well.
now i only got my two clowns and a flasher wrasse, at first i was like... ohh i could get a 6 line and get rid of the flasher, but the truth is...i like my flasher to much to let it go she's just to cute, SO :p i was thinking of using flatworm exit and i thought about just putting my fishes and inverts in a 10 gal tank, do the whole flatworm exit and after a few hours just put my fishes back in there, would that work? i thought about doing this just so the fishes don't swim around the chemical thingy because the last thing i would want is one of them dying on me.
am i just going crazy here :p?

I've never heard of anyone losing anything but flatworms with flatworm exit.... even in increased dosages. I think it is one of the few chemicals that kills what it is advertised to kill and nothing else.

Gaby, sorry to hear about your tank problems. Honestly I don't know anything about flatworms so I just wish you good luck! :)

By the way, is your flasher a carpenter's flasher? I remember you were the one that suggested that I get one of those but at that time you didn't have one.

I've never heard of anyone losing anything but flatworms with flatworm exit.... even in increased dosages. I think it is one of the few chemicals that kills what it is advertised to kill and nothing else.

Flatworm exit does kill flatworms. Its the toxins the dead/dying flatworms release that will kill other things in your tank. I've used Flatworm Exit in the past, (now used as dip for any coral going into the tank), and used it in 4x reccomended doses to ensure eradication of flatworms. If you dont get them all on the first couple of doses, they will begin to build up an immunity to Flatworm Exit. FWE does affect bristleworms and snails....they act as if "drunk" or severely out of sorts. The vast majority of the worms recover, never lost a snail....

Gabby,
you can leave the fish in the tank for the treatment. It wont affect them at all as long as you follow the directions of the medication.

Remove as many of the FW's as possible, by manually siphoning them out. One hour after treating the tank, do a 25% water change, and start running carbon.

I'm assuming these are the red planaria FW's and not the clear/gray ones on the glass right? Cant remember if you have any corals or anemones at the moment. If not, the red planaria are photosynthetic and you should be able to reduce their numbers by shutting down the lights of the tank....
You'd still need to siphon out as many FW's as possible though...

Nick

Just a heads up for anyone with sensitive things such as Octopus's or Cuttle Fish, Flat Worm Exit will adversely affect them!

I treated two tanks that had these critters in them and no sign of Flat Worms that I made the mistake of treating although none were present as a preventative measure and lost both within just minutes of adding Flat Worm Exit.

eww.....did not know that. Thanks for the heads up, but I'm sorry for your losses...

Nick

By the way, is your flasher a carpenter's flasher? I remember you were the one that suggested that I get one of those but at that time you didn't have one.

Thanks dood,
its a flasher one too but not a carpenter's, i like this fish alot because not only it has some awesome colors but everytime i feed her, she puts her front fin up and make her look so cute :D.

Thanks Nick, i'm gonna dose double and will do the big water change.
At this point i have a brain coral (Wellsophilia ... something liek that :p), i got candy cane, red caps, rainbow monti, stylophora, another coral that sort of looks like the stylo, a purple with yellow polyp scroll coral, xenias, zoos, kenya trees, a devil's leather, mushrooms, green slimmer (it's sort of recovering, i was almost gonna loose it ) and a little frag of red monti digi :) oh ya and my cleaner shrimp.
please let me know if i should get any of my corals out .

Just a heads up for anyone with sensitive things such as Octopus's or Cuttle Fish, Flat Worm Exit will adversely affect them!

i'm very sorry about your losses dood :(, that's why i'm asking first before i do this because i'd hate loosing a fish and this time around i'm not gonna wait for a natural way to get rid of them, i've been fighting them for to many years to just in a few months have them come back :p .

As one who has used FW exit many times and supervised it in other's tanks, here is a tip. Not only use it on a higher strength, but leave it in the tank. Unless fish, inverts or corals are showing real signs of distress, no reason to flush the medication down the drain. I have seen some planaria take a week before they perish. When you run carbon or water change an hour after use, often the tough ones survive and reproduce. Similar to using antibiotics, use it until everything is cured. Of course, if the toxins leached out are making the critters do poorly, give them a break and run it again later. Learned this trick from KevinPo

wwouu dood i never thought about doing that, but i guess better than having to deal with them over and over and over :), so leaving the meds it is, i'll have the water ready to go though....just in case :), but thanks dood.
I'm planning on doing this next weekend before the keep multiplying hehe, so i'll let everyone know how it goes :)

Herefishyfishy - how long is the FW Exit being left in?

Back