Leather Disaster-Need Help

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

ronj

Blue Tang
i just did something really stupid. my leather was mostly closed up and i noticed that it had a lot of detritus in the middle of its' crown. i put a pipe cleaner brush in it and brushed it out. the end of the brush had an extremely sharp point at the end that i didn't see. it stabbed a hole about the size of a quarter in the crown because i plunged it a few times with the brush. will it most likely die or what.. i feel really dumb

With a little luck the leather should recover. In future, a turkey baster works well for blowing detritus off corals or rocks.

Leathers are the most resilient corals I've kept. Don't know how it'll fare, but I'd leave the leathers alone when they get crap on them (unless its a ton from a tank cleaning). Whenever stuff gets on them, they do a little mucas thing and shed a layer of goo, that takes all the detritus with it...

if you made a plug I would set it in the sand and let the plug attach. when it does you can then glue it to a rock and start another coral.:D

the funny thing is that i clean my rocks with a turkey baster and it never crossed my mind to use it last night

Also agree with everyone here. It should be fine. What you want to watch for are signs of infection/decay. Make sure there is some flow over the crown to keep the area clean while the damage grows back. Treat it like a cut on your hand (minus the neosporin and bandaid:) ) and just keep the area from getting infected and it will heal itself.

Back