Leathers better with SPS or anemone tank

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Jan

I just read a post about how SPS corals are impacted by the toxic chemical put out by leathers (in particular). I have a large toadstool, a large GPS, and another leather in my mixed 120 reef where I'm trying to grow SPS.

Would it benefit my SPS to remove these 3 corals and put them in my new 30 gallon where I plan to keep an anemone and clown? Would the anemone be negatively impacted by these corals or vice versa?

Thanks

yeah the best way to go is removing the leathers and gps .
IF you wanna keep them in there, then just run carbon .

I'm assuming you mean GSP...Green Star Polyps are one of the most toxic corals in the ocean, towards other corals. Leathers of the Sarcophyton species are right up there in toxicity as well. Having said that, I keep both in my 75 with SPS. I know it's not a good idea and I'm considering rethinking some things in the near future. I do run carbon on a regular basis to help.

Lol...yes, I meant GSP. :oops:

What about the combination of the GSP/leathers with an anemone? Will they sense eachother and start a chemical war?

I have a large toadstool, a large GPS, and another leather in my mixed 120 reef where I'm trying to grow SPS.

Yikes... an allelopathic trainwreck (the sps will lose)

And for the anemones... please NEVER mix them with sessile cnids like corals. Its unnatural and a long term recipie for disaster. Please see my extensive threads in the archives for more on why (Fav links sticky atop this forum... scroll down to "discussions")

any hints on the name of the discussion? there's quite a lot of them....

I did find one brief discussion where you said pretty much the same thing as above, and didn't give more detail.

Are there ANY corals that can cohabitate healthfully with an anemone? If so, what kind would those be?

Last edited:
Back