LED builds by Guerry

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Well new fixture is installed and working great! I installed over frag system in my office and don't laugh when you see pictures of the corals. I had a aiptasia break out which had me to the point of tearing down the system and starting over but did get things under controll at the expense of some really nice corals. Any way enough of that the old lighting was 250mh on light rail with led spots
IMG_0477-1.jpg

so first thing was to remove all of this and install new hanging backets

IMG_0478-1.jpg

next not have 6 hands I build a stand to hold fixture while hooking cables up
IMG_0480-1.jpg

IMG_0481-1.jpg

and finally fixture hanging it's new home
IMG_0482-1.jpg

this it running settings right now are 40% power with 80degree optics on outside emitters and 90 degree inside with no optics on the red and greens. This has my par at 270 bottom of tank which is where it was with the mh lighting and I'm not going to be running the midday lighting till the corals are happy and ajusted to new lights so here's some pic's
IMG_0492-1.jpg

had to start new post for some reason could post any more pic's above must of hit a limit
IMG_0486-1.jpg

IMG_0491.jpg

IMG_0487-1.jpg

cool thing here is I didn't have to plan with blue balance with any of the picture taken here

Thats looks great Guerry. Even on the phone the color in the pics pop.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Definitely an awesome quality build you have done. Your wiring and fixture housing are Top-Notch. Hopefully will be not far behind in completing mine, and nice to see another incorporate multiple/additional colors of LED's to the mix. I bought all my LED's months ago now, from both Rapid & Steve's 3 different blues + 3 different whites + Cyan + Red to get the IMO needed range in light spectrums. My plans also include a mid-day par blast from 6500K's on a seperate 7th circuit. It sure will be nice not having to run a Chiller any longer huh?

Cheers, Todd

thanks guys, yell It was a great day when I pulled that 9amp drawing chiller and the 180watt pump that was running with it from my 209 system, Ive got a window unit in my office but should beable to turn it off now. My goal for power savings is $200. a month so far I've cut it by over $100. from the power sucking features and every time I do something like this get all exsited about getting next bill. Never thought I'd be looking forward to a new power bill LOL I think my new skimmer project will help with goal also

This set up is awesome! What ratio did you use for the lights? i.e. how many greens, reds and blues to white LED's did you use?

basic emitters are 32 royal blues, 24 cool whites, 8 reds and 8 greens theres also 24 cree XPG-QR5s for mid day blast

Par reading please, lol

mojo

well that told on you! you didn't read above post I've got the par level at 270- 300 at bottom of tank. I haven't started cranking them up yet, letting the corals aclomate to the new lighting slowly

What a professional build... makes me want to build mine all over again..
Question Guerry, I have 96 LEDs over my 120 that are 60 XR-E royal blues and 36 whites and thinking of adding some greens and reds to expand the color spectrum, what would be your suggestions to the ratio of greens and red to my lights? Also, how is your growth with your color setup and would you change anything?
Here is what I am running... not quite as nice as yours but it'll do..
2011-05-31185400.jpg

2011-06-11161905.jpg

my heat sink is 36"x10" and I'm running 8 reds and 8 greens without optics which seems to give a nice spred. Growth with Leds over my DT system has been great as for diffence with added color we will have to see due to the fact that this fixture has only been running for two days over my frag tank

I have 2 30x8.5 heatsinks with 48 leds each. Thinking of adding 4 green and 4 red per heatsink... Think that'll do?

Well I made alittle mod to frag tank led fixture, First I remove 24 XPGs and 4 reds then I replaced them with 28 royal blues. I'm liking this alot better, par is off the scale with controller set at 20%/10%/20% par at bottom of tank 500+ I'm using 80 degree optics and these numbers are taken 24" below emitters. I need to add this is and expermental fixture, I used $1.25 3watt China emitters just to see how they compared to the higher dollor Cree. The biggest diffence I notice is the Cree emitters have a much truer blue than the cheap knock offs, but the corals have been doing well under these

wow! you know what you are doing, i just parted out all my tanks for financial reasons but am working on putting another reef together with leds so maybe when the time comes i can ask for some tips?

Last edited:
First let me say Welcome to Reef Frontiers!!! alot of great fokes here and I'm always glad to help if I can

Very Nice Work Guerry,
Just curious, What dollar range are you in if ya dont mind the question?
You stated about $1800 into the T5 fixture, wondering where your at in regards to that.

thanks, the fixture over my DT cost around $2,200. but I could build for less now just by knowing things I didn't then

any thoughts on a good website that one might research and come up with a cost for this type of project ?

Back