LED color

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

So, is there any ideal combination that has been determined? I want to make sure I get this right the first time.

Dog do a search on led you should find a bunch of the kind of info your looking for.

Mike

I did Mojo and it appears that it depends on who is doing the article as to what they say. I have come to the conclusion that this combination should work pretty well for the inhabitants and look good also.

Brian..

Well you have different things at play here. Really it comes down to how blue you want your tank. Are you going dimmable, or just on/off. If you are looking for a 20k look then the 2 to 1 ( 2 blue to 1white) comes into play. I personally like the 14k look and enjoy the ability of changing the color if needed. So 2 whites to 1 blue) with dimming so that I can dial the right color in.

Well you have different things at play here. Really it comes down to how blue you want your tank. Are you going dimmable, or just on/off. If you are looking for a 20k look then the 2 to 1 ( 2 blue to 1white) comes into play. I personally like the 14k look and enjoy the ability of changing the color if needed. So 2 whites to 1 blue) with dimming so that I can dial the right color in.

I will be able to dim the whites but the blues won't be able to.

Ok I would rather dim the blues, do you only have 1 dimmable driver. I have another one if you need one.

How big a tank are these going to light up ??? At $40 a crack I'd consider building your own using 3w chips and dimable drivers instead. This way you could get exactly the combination you want/need

Cheers, Todd

I agree, please remember that LEDs are pretty much point and shoot light sources, meaning that you would need lots of those depending on the size of tank they are going over. And whether or not you are doing a coral tank. There is not enough information on the lights themselves to make a good choice.

I am not one to say that there is only one way of doing things and if you feel this light will work for what you need, then you should go for it. The only thing is I do not know enough about the penetrating power or the LED itself to tell you what you need. If it was me I would save the money and buy a heatsink and some LED's and know what you are getting. If you do enough research you can pretty much build one of those yourself. With enough power to run a full blown reef. Again this is just my opinion, this may be exactly what you are looking for as far as design and ability, if you do go that route maybe you can post about it and let the rest of us know how it is working. Everyone is on the CREE bandwagon right now and you may find people pushing that down your throat, but really I take it back to what brought me to this site and that is people doing what works for them. When I first started this hobby, people all said that LED technology would never be capable of supporting a reef and that it they are not as efficient as halide's. But now it seems like everyone is going that route. So do what works for you. In my opinion and it may not be worth much, if you are going with corals you could build one for way cheaper. And being that those come from overseas the warranty that may come with it is really not worth the hassle. If you find that you do want to go the DIY route hit me up and I will try to help you out as much as possible. If the look of those are what you are going for it can be built.

Oh and the video that you showed is on a fish only tank, no doubt that it puts out a lot of light, but when it comes to corals it is the pentrating power that matters. If a light cant push enough photons past the first 6 inches of water column it is not worth the hassle.

Good find, looks to be great quality for the $'s but only covers your Whites. If you had/have some Blue LED stunner strips to supplement them could be a very effective partial DIY setup.

Cheers, Todd

Looks pretty good, like thier heat-sink design but did not dig deep enough to find any pricing and not aware of any local dealer of Finnex. I'll keep tagging along on this to see what else you may find.

Cheers, Todd

I think they are 89.99.

Looks pretty good, like thier heat-sink design but did not dig deep enough to find any pricing and not aware of any local dealer of Finnex. I'll keep tagging along on this to see what else you may find.

Cheers, Todd

Those would be awesome supplemental lighting. This way you could have a little more flexibility of the lighting. I still have not seen dimensions of your tank, and your plans for aniumals. This would help us out tremendously to better give you advice for your lighting needs.

Back