led light for 55gal

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

justforfun

Humu Humu Nuku Nuku
well after many months of putting off getting a light for the 55gal seahorse tank....i think i have decided to go LED.....now i dont know if i should build my own or buy a fixture.....if anyone has built a light for a 55....let me know about how much it cost you to build.......& if anyone of you wiring guru's would like to comment on how they would build the light please do,,,,,

DJ, what else besides the Seahorses are going in there that require lighting? If no high-light demanding corals/clams I would go DIY using a 5" x 36" or so heatsink with no more than 36 LED's (8 cool whites, 4 warm whites, 12 royal blues, 8 blues, 2 greens and 2 reds) this combination would make all colors POP! With lots of Gorgonians and Zoanthids would look like a Avitar set.

Cheers, Todd

yea the girlfriend like to buy goni & zoas ...so not to high demanding but a little....yah that sounds like a nice light to build.....this is a first where im staring blank into a wall and not knowing where to start project

Just to give you a reference point, I was in a very similar situation to yours. I didn't have a ton of experience in LED (and am certainly still learning), but have also chose to go the DIY route. I worked with Mike through RapidLed.com and have been really happy with the service. A big factor for me was that they carried the solderless kits. So for my standard AGA 75 gallon tank, I am getting a couple of the 24 LED solderless dimmable kits (for my Apex controller) that will mount on 6"x20" heat sinks. This will let me grow the full range of corals, though since I am starting out, I plan to go for the easy stuff and as my experience grows, tackle some of the harder ones. For my setup, it was $550 for everything, and this will be all solderless. If you can put together Legos, these kits should be a breeze. You may be fine with the soldering iron, and if so, you'll save even more.

ChadO

Back