LED Light System

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

mike1441

i have some questions on the led light system. anyone have had any experience with them or have seen them on a tank? also what do you think about it? they say on reefgeek.com http://www.reefgeek.com/product/72_...Modular_LED_Light_System_w!_Controller_by_C2D
that it uses 50% less energy, the lamps last 10 years, and less heat, ect...
am thinking of upgrading my light to the icecap 3 400 watt ballasts, with the lumenarc reflectors. the total cost is about $1,100. compare to $3,300. considering the replacement of the bulbs and the energy consumption cost. i think after 4 years i will break even. The cost of the unit is not the biggest issue, the issue is this a good system for the money or should I stick with the halides

Two questions -

What is the PAR?

and, What does 460nm look like? I thought most actinics were closer to 420nm. Will the corals flouresce the same?

If your going to spend that much cash on LED's, I'd invest in the PFO's, they put a lot of testing into them & have results, also they tell you what type LED's they use, which are the best BTW.

on the contrary...i'd have to disagree with scooter here...
the solaris is total crap compared to the aquaillumination. but you want to buy them direct from the company, not from reef geek.

check out the spectral analasys and the comparisons in the bulbs that the AI uses compared to the solaris.
also, the AI fixture is modular, with upgradeable led arrays, and doesnt have the stupid controller glued right to the front center of the light unit, and is also bluetooth.
it also imo, is much more elegant looking with the silver/black combo colors,
which is important to me for that price.

http://www.aquaillumination.com/features.html

Mark, on that AI site you posted, when you click on "Order" it says it's available exclusively from ReefGeek (I was curious about the price of these). They sure seem nice from an energy consumption point of few alone.

I agree with SW the AI unit looks much more well thought out I use my own LED accent lighting because I am waiting to play with some new LED's that are only a figment of mosts imagination when those become reality what you see for output now is a joke compared to what is to come... Unfortunatly there has to be evolution for a product to become better but I am waiting for "a new company" to have some interesting approaches to the LED lighting market. If your looking for now I would definatly say the AI unit is much nicer overall but that just me...

So from what I gather you think that the technology is not really there yet and not worth the money?

well not exactly I jus tknow that within the next year you are going to see LED technology change dramatically and with that comes more light for less power I am simply saying I personally am going to wait at least 6 months before making a decision to see if the aquarium industry adopts some of the new technology if not then maybe I need to make my own LED lighting for aquariums :)

Mark, on that AI site you posted, when you click on "Order" it says it's available exclusively from ReefGeek (I was curious about the price of these). They sure seem nice from an energy consumption point of few alone.

if you call them, they will sell to you i think...at least they used to a couple months ago.

led tech is going to be like computer processors...6 months later your going to own some old piece of shyte...
but the deal is you buy a fixture to do a job, it wont stop doing that job because something better comes out...

and, the led arrays in the AI are upgradeable to reflect newer tech when it comes out

Last edited:
Well a year ago PFO was better LOL, my bad, I thought these were knock offs, these actually look nice after reading up on them. I'd still wait another year or so, I bet the prices will come down enough to really put a hurting on other light sources.

I am used to the super-actinic VHO at 420nm. How does the 460nm from LEDs look in comparison? Do corals flouresce as well?

I am used to the super-actinic VHO at 420nm. How does the 460nm from LEDs look in comparison? Do corals flouresce as well?

The 460nm lights I've seen have a more purple hue to them than the 420nm actinics....

Vicki in Puyallup has been running a 72" LED over LPS coral for quite awhile. Her corals look MAGNIFICENT!
She most likely has some opinions.

Back