LED lighting and UL ratings

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

row-z

I have a 90 gallon tank and need to replace lighting. I have been looking at LED lighting, none of them seem to have UL ratings. Does anyone know of a led system that has a UL rating or are they just not required for this type lighting? I am looking specifically at the Marineland LED Double bright light.

the marineland led fixtures are crap imo. they are not high quality led's and even the "reef capable" fixture is hardly reef capable, capable of a few soft corals and maybe a couple lps. orphek has some greawt fixtures large enough for your tank that could grow anything.

Orphek Reef aquarium Led lighting Blog News

Aqua Illuminations is top of the line and they are cheaper than Ecotech Marine.

i couldnt care less if the owner isnt a standup guy, it is a quality product and will fulfill all reef lighting needs. sure there are other ogod brands out there this is just the one that came to mind first.

Last edited:
Mike Maddox does not and never has worked for Orphek lighting. He was a distributer for them and after the subsequent publicity by that article and other instances related to Maddox's behaviour, Orphek yanked their products from him and issued a public statement that he neither worked for them or distributed their products.

There was a big thread about this on RC detailing alot more than the little blurb written on reef builders.

Chelseagrin, Orphek makes a decent product, but you should be concerned about the owner being a stand up guy. If you have a problem with the product you buy from someone who isnt a stand up guy, and its not made in the US....where do you go to get it fixed or replaced?

Is there an "acceptable" expense to reef lighting now that LED's are out? Meaning is there a good 36" fixture for a reef under $200.00?

Is there an "acceptable" expense to reef lighting now that LED's are out? Meaning is there a good 36" fixture for a reef under $200.00?

IMO there isn't a quality "acceptable" reef lighting of any kind for a 36" reef for under $200. Even a cheap T-5 Fixture will cost more than that to grow softies and keep them colorful and healthy.

For the DIY Aquastyle, the heat sinks are less than 2 feet usually. how do you get it to fit a 48 inch long tank?

with reef lighting you really get what you pay for, you could get a light for cheap but it wont last. or it wont have enough output to grow anything.

Back