LED lighting comparison

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Steve B

so im sure most of you have seen the new LED lighting systems...and im not talking about the moon lights im talking about the super intense led lights some manufacturers are starting to use on their tanks instead of MH...my brother inlaw is a super genius, and has actually made his own systems wired them...and made the computer chip from scratch and programed it to change its level of intensity from night time to daytime and back again all in a continiouse flow...ohh and made a LCD read out screen...did i already mention this guy is a genius

so to the actual question...does anyone know if these LEDs comparable to MH's when it comes to growing corals...(sps, lps)...???

thanks

Last edited:
They can be quite comparable and even stronger than a 400w MH if configured right. PFO came up with the solaris a few years back but was sued out of business for it due to vague copyright issues.

I have always hated the 'moonlight' but Im with ya here...less energy...longer life! Heck if someone could configure LED's light spectrum out for aquarium use it would be great! Tell your bro in law to keep up his great work and invent us some lights! I have a super genius bro in law myself but he's into chemistry so... but I know your situation! I love my broinlaw hope you love yours...platonically speaking of course! Back on course though, I see the industry going there so tell him to hope on it! If he can give the same result as MH and and and and make a dusk to dawn kind of a set up he might just make it big!

i have heard about that...so to your understanding they do compare or excede the capabilities of a MH...

Yes, they were supposed to excede MH in intensity with a fraction of the electricity. Due to price, near 3-4G's there were very few in use, and not much internet feedback about them. From my impression, they were good in respects of spectrum range 10-50K, programmability regarding intensity, dusk to dawn and moonlight abilities. It was basically a computerized light system. The pitfall was whole circuit board failure which was expensive to replace, or LED burnout which required a solder gun and some know how.

Just when PFO was refining their unit into a generation two or three where it became dependable and really usable they got a lawsuit and basically lawyered right out of business.

It will be a while before we see any LED fixtures on the market that Im willing to test.

Last edited:
well he's already made to complete systems foe 2 of his tanks...he is gunna make me a system utilizing my current usa outer orbit fixture...and inside my sump we r going to build a frag tank and hes gunna make a small one for that too...ill make sure to fill you guys in on how it grows sps...and how things react to the LEDs...i know i love looking at his tanks...everything is super happy...and everything looks so crisp and clear...

I've been using the AquaIllumination 90w units on nearly all of my service accounts. The LED's definitely penetrate the water better then a metal halide. In my opinion a little to well, as it does cause bleaching alot of times on corals as they adjust to the new lighting. With the AquaIllumination units, I like to turn the intensity of the white light down to about 45% and the blue at 100%. This gives the look of a 14K MH bulb. The controller for these units is subpar, but they are being designed now to work with the various controllers (reefkeeper, neptune etc). They definately have there place and I have seen some great growth on SPS under them. I wish they would keep the ratio of bulbs 2 blue to 1 white. JMO Can't wait to see what comes along.

Back