LED Lighting - Need feedback on brands!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

str8juizy

saltygurl
I am setting up my tank and have decided to go this round with LED lighting. Has anyone ever heard of or have experience with or can give me feedback/opinions on skyled aquarium lighting? Thanks!!!

Havent heard of them before but I have tested most of the current LeD types and cant say I have found any that are worth the money they charge for them. The best route I have found is to do a DIY project and buy the leds and components out of China. At least then you get something that is worth the money and you can customize them for the color you want.

Mojo

The ones I have found called SkyLED are blue, white & red. They look and sound really good, LOTS of LEDs in each unit & the right specs but I still want to get anyones opinion on them. They are made in China I think & relatively new so I have found no customer comments. Any help would be appreciated!

Well Maxspect was chinese and was half the price of other LED's. The place I bought it at (and returned) said there was a reason they were much cheaper than other brands as most of the ones they sold had been returned so beware the good deals.

Thanks! I'm gonna call them and ask some questions today.

I'm not really a DIY kinda girl. I would be if I was technically inclined at all but anything I made would probably burn my house down!

I love DIY stuff but making 10 trips to home depot on my days off gets old lol. Good luck :) Keep an eye on craigslist.

Look into the Stark Led's that barrier sells. They use Cree led's and are dimmable on the blue and white side plus the have a 5 year guarantee. I have one fixture over my 60 gallon cube and it covers pretty darn good, but I think I'm going to buy one more so I can grow whatever I want. So far I'm really liking it. The color and shimmer are awesome.

So, I have decided to go with my old favorite and use metal halides. I am getting the Current Sunpod 2x250watt 36" one. This will be way more than I need for my 55gallon but I do not have to run both hallides if I do not want to. Also, at least this way I know I can safely grow sps. Anyone have anything to say about this light unit before I actually purchase it on Sunday?

i would trust your first impression to go with LED's....
really a good way to go, and i think you would be happier in the long run.
probably a little more cash to get into, but they will totally pay for themselves compared to mh after a while..,
no bulb changes of $100 each mh bulb every 9-12 months + less heat (no chiller) and lower power consumption adds up pretty quick.
for a standard 55g tank, i would look at 2 of these:
AI Sol “Phoenix” is a new cheaper, brighter and wireless LED light from AquaIllumination
$500 each fixture, but well worth it.

you could easily get someone to DIY one for you too, out of the same high quality cree led's, and it could be a bit cheaper with more color options...a few people here do that sort of thing... :)

Last edited:
2ea 250 watt halides over a 55 gallon tank is going to require a chiller. Do you have a chiller? Better factor that into the cost difference between halide an LED.

I've got a 1/3hp power sucking chiller that can be bought since removing the MH lighting from my tank LOL

Back