LED lighting vs MH

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Therapy1

Hello all. The first of many questions that will come. As stated in my introduction thread I am getting back in after 12 year absence. In planning stage now.

My Question. When I switched from VHO and CF years ago to MH's, I was profoundly impressed with the shimmer effect cause by the pinpoint lights. Will I lose that if I go with LED's? With so many light sources I would think that it would look more like VHO's and lose the shimmer. But I really like the idea of decreased heat. Bouncing between a 180 and a 300 gallon which would be a lot of light area.

Thank you in advance.

Tom

You will get the shimmer effect from LEDs as tike mentioned.

Running costs and heat generated by MH are usually a problem. LEDs are good but never last the 25yr guarantee's you see on the boxes.

Running costs and heat generated by MH are usually a problem. LEDs are good but never last the 25yr guarantee's you see on the boxes.

I've never seen any led manufacture claim their leds last for 25 years.
Where do you see that?

It typically failed the drivers in 2-3yrs. My blue LEDs are dropping like flies at 4yrs run on 12hr cycles at 75% max

It typically failed the drivers in 2-3yrs. My blue LEDs are dropping like flies at 4yrs run on 12hr cycles at 75% max

WOW! That's crazy. I have the old china black boxes that I have run for 5 years at 75% 9 hours a day ......haven't had any issues yet. :crazy:

I've been using Radions for the last 4+ years and have been paying attention to others that use them and I have not seen anyone have issues with drivers or anything yet.
What I think I remember about the life of a led fixture was it being said they are suppose to last about 25,000 hours.

From what I have read.... its all about keeping them cool. With cooler temps they last longer.

Hi There,

You will still get a shimmer effect with LEDs. The only downfall with LED's is shadowing and being too controllable. A hybrid system works well with LED pucks and T5's. Think something like the Aurora light fixtures. Very expensive, but if you are going with high intensity corals it is something to look into.

I've already raised my Radion's up higher and downloaded and programmed them to the SPS AB+ program.

Now I just need to add some SPS....

Back